Lisa Kay's Reviews > A Convenient Wife

A Convenient Wife by Carolyn Davidson

★★★★✩ Sometimes simple and sweet is just my cuppa tea and this story is both those things – with the added bonus of having a touch of spice. Carolyn Davidson, a favorite author when I’m seeking turn-of-the-century rural America, didn’t let me down with this one. Her style and tone are subtle, and such that she weaves a sense of ambience into the everyday life of the characters; effortlessly bringing to life the setting in this period piece.

Built in 1897; a beautiful example of Queen Anne style architecture of the period, by architect Charles Henry Holden.
Photobucket

It's 1897, in Whitehorn, Montana, and Eleanor Mitchum has discovered herself in the “family way.” Or rather the young town doctor has. Alas, there’s no groom in sight. When her father kicks her off his ranch she ends up becoming a housekeeper to the handsome, bespectacled physician. While Doctor Winston Gray hasn’t been marriage minded, he sure likes having gentle, efficient Ellie around; so her “fallen woman” reputation is certain to change.

“Louise Nursing Her Child” by Impressionist artist, Mary Cassatt (1898)

At first blush, this seems like the standard “pregnant with another man’s baby” theme, which isn’t a favorite of mine; even so, this one is well done and has a couple of surprises, but nothing outstanding. I just like being transported to small town living and lovin’. Nice to see some returning characters from the Montana Mavericks: Return to Big Sky Country Series (written by several different authors for Silhouette Books), but works nicely as a stand-alone. The time starts in August and ends in December (sans epilogue), making it Christmas Perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Convenient Wife.

message 1: by Jill (last edited Sep 10, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Jill Nice review Lisa Kay. This is one of my favourites by CD. Have you read The Midwife? Another very good read.

message 2: by CaroB (last edited Sep 10, 2011 03:21PM) (new)

CaroB "I just like being transported to small town living and lovin’" What a fabulous review Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Jill wrote: "Nice review Lisa Kay. This is one of my favourites by CD. Have you read The Midwife? Another very good read."

Thanks, Jill. Yes, I read that one just last month (I think? LOL).

Lisa Kay CaroB wrote: ""I just like being transported to small town living and lovin’" What a fabulous review Lisa Kay!"

Thanks, CaroB.! This is one of the books where the hair color changes from between the first and second publication of the book, LOL! She has dark brown hair in the book. Wouldn't you say her hair is a little lighter in the second publication?

A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks The Historicals) by Carolyn Davidson A Convenient Wife by Carolyn Davidson

message 5: by CaroB (new)

CaroB Yes! But that's a tricky one because it also looks like it could be the light... lol, well picked :-)

Lisa Kay Thanks, Mia!

Lisa Kay Yes, it is a bit tricky. I'll give them that, LOL!