Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)'s Reviews > On Oakham Mount: A Pride & Prejudice Variation

On Oakham Mount by Sophia Meredith

2073558

bookshelves: pride-and-prejudice, jane-austen

What If Darcy and Elizabeth Agreed to a Marriage of Convenience?

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation

TIME FRAME: Day after the Netherfield Ball to several months later + epilogue

MAIN CHARACTERS: The usual Pride and Prejudice gang!

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:

The Cover and Title: I’ll be honest, the cover and title grabbed me immediately and made me eager to learn more.

WHAT I LOVED:

- The Premise: I love scenarios where Darcy and Elizabeth are marrying or contemplating marriage early in their relationship. This isn’t a forced marriage scenario, more a marriage of convenience. Since Darcy is feeling pressure to marry his cousin and Elizabeth’s father supports Mr. Collins’s proposal, Mr. Darcy offers marriage to Elizabeth as a way to escape these more objectionable options… And even though they do agree to this arrangement, it doesn’t last long!

- Featuring Oakham Mount: I love that this variation spotlights Oakham Mount! We see it casually mentioned in Pride and Prejudice and know it has a pleasant view, but I’ve always envisioned it to be wonderfully picturesque, peaceful, and one of Lizzy’s special secret spots. I love that Darcy unexpectedly encounters Lizzy while she is seeking solace on Oakham Mount. I love the privacy of this encounter, how it triggers such an openness in both of these characters, and that there is such special significance placed on this particular location.

- Darcy and His Courting: When Darcy realizes the leaning of his heart, he is determined to declare his love and offer for Elizabeth. Except he can’t, not right now, and not when she may not feel the same way as he does. So what does he do? After some brooding, he starts to woo Elizabeth…and he flirts. He does nothing to mask his interest and admiration, and it is soooo adorable!!! I love seeing Darcy so besotted! I also love how much of a hero he is in this story. He seems to have a predilection for coming to the rescue! I found it wonderfully romantic how Darcy rode through the night at one point.

- Happier Outcomes For All: In addition to a happy outcome for Darcy and Elizabeth, Ms. Meredith changes the fates of Mary Bennet, Charlotte Lucas, Kitty Bennet, Anne de Bourgh, and the Wickhams. I really enjoyed all these unique twists to their storylines (especially for Mary, Kitty, and Anne) and I must conclude that I enjoy seeing these characters experience happier and more satisfying fates than they did in Pride and Prejudice…well, except for maybe Mr. Wickham!

WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:

- Pacing and Narration: In some instances I thought the pacing felt a little slow or that the story became a little heavy with narration. I usually love dwelling in characters’ heads but sometimes I found myself wanting to skim through their ruminating and contemplating and see more dialogue and action, especially in the first half of the story. Perhaps if just a wee bit was “lop’t and crop’t” it would be a perfect balance.

CONCLUSION:

What a delightful debut from Sophia Meredith! On Oakham Mount is charming, graceful, and thoughtful. I applaud Ms. Meredith for her tactful and sensible approach to this type of premise and I enjoyed how her variation changed the course for so many different characters. I recommend this story for readers who love gentle and clean romances, clever twists, and happy endings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Oakham Mount.

May 13, 2016 – Started Reading