Tink Magoo is bad at reviews's Reviews > Stupid Girl

Stupid Girl by Cindy Miles

1.5 'If I ever get constipated in the future I'm going to read this book again because it irritated the shit outta me' Stars

-----------

Someone should definitely stick a gold star on my tit for managing to finish this one.

But let's start on a positive note -

The title. It's perfect. You don't just have a stupid girl, you have a whole book full of STUPID. So at least that makes sense.

Here's where I start my angry ramble about this cliched whopper.

For a girl that's been through such a traumatising event not long before we meet her, and apparently doesn't judge people by how they initially look, she sure likes to label people without ever speaking a word to them. That clean cut looking guy with the easy smile - he's probably a deceiving bastard. ALL girls that like to go to parties - throw themselves at boys and like to have casual sex. Even the would be Hero - is a thug because he has tattoos.

And quite a few times it's mentioned how mature this girl is (by herself and others).
"Where I was a star geek and old for my age, she was a little immature. No, a lot, actually."

The characters AND the writing were immature. You have a female lead that's supposed to be a strong independent young woman. But She relies on other people to feel strong and safe through THE WHOLE BLOODY BOOK. Then you have a bad boy manwhore jock thug that uses his fists to try and solve his problems. Again - look at that title and the word stupid!

That point above, about her supposedly being strong etc, that really FUCKS ME OFF. You have a female author writing about a female character that was raped, and yet you have her depending on a man-boy she just met, along with a girl she thinks is incredibly immature. WHAT THE FUCK SORT OF LOGIC IS THAT! In no way does this book show an empowered young woman becoming independent, making friends and learning to trust people. It shows a weak, judgemental LITTLE GIRL and an angry boy who has no idea how to deal with anything.

Doesn't that just sound so dreamy to you
description

And don't even get me started on the whole accent issue. All the author needed to write was that he's from Boston and give a couple examples of how he said words differently. Instead, it turned into a complete piss take. AND IT MADE ME SO FUCKING ANGRY having to read it over and over. I even made my highlights visible in the new BETA thing, just so you could read the phonetics the author KEPT PUTTING IN ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

This book can just ...
description

Now give me my gold star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stupid Girl.

May 13, 2016 – Shelved
May 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 14, 2016 – Started Reading
August 14, 2016 –
18.0% "His accent being bought up constantly is starting to piss me off. He's from Boston and he talks slightly differently SO FUCKING WHAT. TWAT"
August 15, 2016 – Shelved as: friends-to-lovers
August 15, 2016 – Shelved as: has-poked-a-lot-of-pigeons
August 15, 2016 – Shelved as: step-away-from-the-author
August 15, 2016 – Shelved as: contains-idiots
August 15, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: setting-college

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Janie (new)

Janie I downloaded this but haven't started it. Now I need to know what you thought. I may be getting rid of it.

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews I was trying to calm down before I wrote my review, but it's a useless exercise

message 3: by Selene (new)

Selene Fabulous, honest review, Tink! Here's your star :))

photo image_zpspgcfmci5.gif

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews I think I deserve that! Thanks S :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great honest review, Tink! ;)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews Thanks Arianna :)

message 7: by Alp (new)