Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > The Power of Six

Apr 26, 2011

it was ok
Read in November, 2011

Initial Reaction After Reading:

I'm thoroughly angry. The majority of the book was a fantastic read...until I got to the parts where Four/John Smith agonized like a fickle boy stuck between loving one girl and liking another. Oh, there's a difference. It makes me mad that THIS overshadowed how great this book could've been. I'm sorry that I'm so hung up on the forced romances in this book but I detest love triangles; hate it, hate it, hate it - with a passion. I have debated on abadoning this book but with only about a quarter left, I forced down the irritation and persevered to continue.

Highlights:

The instalment to I Am Number Four follows the story of Four, Six and Sam on the run from the law and from the Mogadorians on their tails. Much like its predecessor, this book was action packed and full of unrelenting thrills.

We finally learned of the contents of the chests and the legacies that will help the surviving six exiles to find each other and fight for Lorien's resurgence.

Sam and Bernie Kozar remain my favorite characters of this series but I also enjoyed some new characters that were introduced: Ella and Hector.

Six is a bad-ass, kick ass chick, who unfortunately, had to suffer being a part of a ridiculous love triangle. We get to learn more about the life she led with her deceased Cephan, Katarina. I love her ferocity and will toward whatever purpose she was supposed to fulfill.

Step aside, Four, I have a new favorite Loric. Number Seven, much like Six is resolute in her beliefs. Having lived most of her Earth life in a convent, the suffocation she felt at being 'imprisoned' was palpable. I was frustrated with Adelina for renouncing her duties as her Cephan, but thankfully, there was some redemption in her character toward the end.

Lowlights:

Four/ John Smith. Through much of his angsty soliloquy about Sarah and Six, the thoughts swirling through my head was that this book was not written by the original author who wrote I Am Number Four. It just cannot be. How in the world could you introduce me to a strong male lead in the first book and then turn him into a pantsy, angsty alien on the next? The decision to see Sarah in Paradise was, in the spirit of honesty, the STUPIDEST thing he could ever done. I'm just having a hard time digesting how Four turned out. I'm almost glad that the entire book wasn't told in his POV, because, seriously, when he's not fighting Mogs? Being in his head made me want to slit my wrist. I'm not kidding. Stop pining already! Ugh.

Speaking of Sarah, why do I get the feeling that what she did was just a veiled attempt to force feed me with the idea of Four and Six? Right now? I really couldn't care less who Four ends up with. I am more interested to see what happens to the rest of the Lorics. Sarah was another character who turned Jekyll and Hyde on me. I just don't understand why the author chose to un-developed these two characters. I didn't really warm up to the idea of Sarah and Four but I'm furious that the author sold me - completely at that, on the first book with their professions of love only to make a mockery of them on the next. What.the.heck.

Final Thoughts:

Even after receiving a lukewarm reception from me, this book definitely did its job of building anticipation for the next one. I really am looking forward to reading the third instalment, regardless of how angry this book made me. I still think that this is an amazing series but I AM SO OVER FOUR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Six.

11/08/2011 page 237
58.0% "LESSON OF THE DAY: Boys, alien or not, ARE FICKLE MINDED CREATURES. >.<"
11/09/2011 page 282
69.0% ""I care that you like Six, Sam. But you're right-I like her too. I wish I didn't...blah blah blah...But I love Sarah." FLOUNCED. Ugh." 2 comments
04/25/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Jackie -Sated Faery THANK YOU!! finally someone else who hates love triangles!! I'm about 3/4 done with this right now & very annoyed. I almost skip the Four chapters to get to the Seven ones!!

message 2: by Sunshiny (new)

Sunshiny Me ok. so read bk 1 way bk & never tot around to seeing movie til tonite, which reignited my interest in the series. I'm a little skurred to read all of your review cuz I don't wanna accidently spoil myself. so question: is the love triangle the only reason for your low rating? meaning, if I don't mind love triangles, would I probably like this a lot??

Joy (joyous reads) The love triangle and Four was a whiny bitch on this book. Lol. I would've liked the idea of Four and Six if Sarah was not in the picture. It's like the author conveniently turned Sarah into a hateful character just so the readers could get used to the idea of Six.

Jackie -Sated Faery I hate love triangles anyway, but this one was worse because of the whole "Loriens only love one person in their life" crap they gave us in the first book. But if you can get past that, maybe you'll enjoy it. I did like getting to meet Seven. Just not enough to want to continue the series.

message 5: by Sunshiny (new)

Sunshiny Me STG, i'm gonna taintshank GR one day. i got no notifcations that you guys had replied. just happened upon it in my feed hrs & hrs later. GRRRRRRR!

TY both for info. i'm still undecided lol. i may eventually try it.

Joy (joyous reads) That's exactly it, Jackie. The whole scenario just contradicted what the author had led us to believe in the first place. Oh well, I still haven't had the chance to read The Rise of Nine. I should though, maybe it will change my mind about Four.

Jackie -Sated Faery Well, if you do read it, let me know what you think. Otherwise it's way at the bottom of my TBR list.

Linda Lou Love....? John, is what 16? At that age "like", "like like", "really like" and love...what is the difference? I have forgotten.

message 9: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie King Agreed.jhon really gets on my nerves. Six is cool.

Thalia Brazeau Agreed, love the trilogy so far, the only thing that bugs me is the love triangle.

message 11: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye Francene Yes, the love triangle.... John's an idiot for seeing Sarah like, "dude have you forgotten your purpose in life already?!"

If Henri were alive at that moment, he would have smacked the crap out of John in an instant

Philia Neo Tong Wee I totally agree with John loving one, and liking the other. It really was just so annoying, but the plot really kept me going

message 13: by Sprinky (new)

Sprinky Faye: Actually, Henri would have tried to smack the heck out of John, but John would have used his telekinesis to hold Henri in the air and whined about how he LOVED Sarah and how he just HAD to see her and that he would not put Henri down until he agreed. That's what he did in the first book after all, to stop them from moving. He can be such a brat sometimes.

message 14: by Sprinky (new)

message 15: by Sprinky (new)

message 16: by Sprinky (new)

message 17: by Sprinky (new)

message 18: by Sprinky (new)

message 19: by Sprinky (new)

Sprinky wow i am so sorry i posted that so many times, technology glitch

message 20: by Sprinky (new)

Sprinky wow i am so sorry i posted that so many times, technology glitch