Natalie's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Apr 26, 2011

liked it

I found this a bit of a slow starter, and quite hard to like the protaganist, Jack, at the beginning too, but the journal style allows you to get to know him really well, and the more I got to know him, the more I warmed to him, especially with his growing relationship with the dog isaak, that seems to bring out the best in him!
The book really chilled me, the slow build up of tension really gets you thinking about it, and rationally you are thinking, it's all happening cos Jack is alone in a hostile environment and it's sending him mad, but then underneath all that, you've got the universal "there's something in the dark" feeling that goes back to the childhood fear of the dark, which Jack himself also acknowledges, and you can't help but be scared of what's out there in that constant darkness.
It's not perfect by any means, the start drags somewhat, and the ending is rather twee and convenient, but it had me spooked, the key to a good ghost story, so overall, it's a definite thumbs up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

April 26, 2011 – Shelved