Kory's Reviews > The Widow

The Widow by Fiona Barton

it was ok

2.5/5 stars

I've been trying to decipher my thoughts on this one literally all day, and here's what I've come up with: the summary of this book and comparison to Gone Girl and Girl on the Train really set me up for failure here. I was expecting something with a little more bang, more drama between the husband and wife built upon the secrets that had been a part of their marriage.

And here's the thing, this book ultimately was just not that - at least not for me. It was a calm drama about who kidnapped a little girl and the untold truth about a husband when he was suspected as the kidnapper. It's that simple. It's certainly not worthy of the Gone Girl comparison. There's no shocking twist here. In fact, the ending fell so incredibly flat for me because by the time I got to the end I just knew. Not the "Oh my gosh, maybe it's..." but instead the "Yep, I saw that coming."

With all of that being said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this one, especially if you're easily triggered by sexual plots, specifically involving children, or the abduction of a child.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widow.

May 12, 2016 – Shelved