Rikki's Reviews > Strong Side

Strong Side by Alison Hendricks

May 11, 2016

bookshelves: fiction, glbt, romance

** spoiler alert ** I'm not much into books with a sports theme, but the blurb sounded good enough, so I gave it a try. OK, American football. I know nothing about it and am not interested either, so I was grateful that there wasn't an enormous amount of shop talk.

This was low angst - amazing, considering that it seems gay and football don't go well together. On the one hand it was quite relaxing to read a book where the focus was on the two MCs and no outside interference, on the other hand it struck me as a little odd, that all the problematic areas were solved in such an easy way. Gay football players - all good including rainbows. Homophobe team mates - hardly any, or at least they kept quiet. Ambitious father - turns around quickly. Jason had a lot of problems with the way his life was going, but those were solved in a flash. Derek and his painful past - eventually talked about and gotten over with.

I liked the connection between Derek and Jason and that for the most part there was not much of miscommunication and misunderstandings (my bug bears). So, all in all, an easy and comfortable read. The book needs some editing, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strong Side.

May 11, 2016 – Shelved