Allison Hurd's Reviews > Touch

Touch by Claire North

bookshelves: fem-author, fantasy, sff-bookshelf, lgbtqia-mc, sff-2018-challenge

Hard one for me to rate. There were parts that were fantastic and I loved them. And then a few parts that went on a little long or that felt a little weaker than the fantastic parts. I reserve the right to change my mind about this book but I think I loved it.

I mostly loved how it talks about love and identity. What makes us who we are? How stingy can we really afford to be with love?

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The writing. So, so very well done. Fresh and wonderful, never florid or stilted.

-The concept. How DID Claire North think this up? The conceit of body snatchers is pretty common, but all of the stories, how they wove, what it would mean to the beings and bodies...absolutely stunning.

-The world. Lovely, rich, and varied. A few trip ups on descriptions, but nothing I'd warn about, just things that snagged on my mental fingertips.

-Kepler. You could feel his love for everyone. He was trying to do his best, and he truly cared for the lives he touched. It was remarkable how much we got to know someone with no name, assumed gender, or physical form.

-The audio narrator. Just a fantastic job. He made dozens of voices and accents and did them all creditably.

Small Things That I Noticed and Did Not Love:

-I think the middle went on a bit long.

-I was hoping for a slightly different ending. (view spoiler).

-Galileo was so evil that it felt out of place in the nuanced world.

All in all, a great read and introduction to this author. I highly recommend it as something outside of the "usual" fare for the genre but still possessing those qualities I like best: a strong concept, plenty of character development, and spades of action. If you like action stories or character studies, you should give this a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch.

May 11, 2016 – Shelved
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 26, 2017 – Started Reading
December 26, 2017 – Shelved as: fem-author
December 26, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 26, 2017 – Shelved as: sff-bookshelf
December 26, 2017 –
6.0% "...HUH! I guess that'll show me for judging a book by its cover. Not at all what I expected and I'm really enjoying it. Also, the narrator can do a boat load of accents and I'm duly impressed."
December 27, 2017 –
16.0% "It just zips right along! Very engrossing."
December 29, 2017 –
20.0% ""Everyone's life is greener on the other side."

*shudder*"
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: lgbtqia-mc
December 29, 2017 –
30.0% ""Are you...threatening me with breakfast condiments?""
January 2, 2018 –
45.0% "Wowza this is a lot happening!"
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: sff-2018-challenge
January 3, 2018 –
54.0% "I,,,think I love this book. If you're having a hard time tracking it, switch to audio."
January 4, 2018 –
58.0% "How did she...think of this??"
60.0% "omg!"
60.0% "omg!"
January 5, 2018 –
70.0% "SO CREEPY. I love how eerie this all is."
74.0% "Yo, Kepler is getting sassy
lolshudder"
January 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Francisca (new) - added it

Francisca "The concept. How DID Claire North think this up?"
Have you read anything else by her? This sums up what I felt after Sudden Appearance of Hope. I loved it, and it also has this little concept (Hope is utterly forgettable) that allows her to explore a complex world.

Allison Hurd Francisca wrote: ""The concept. How DID Claire North think this up?"

I have not, but she's sure on my radar now! That's the next one of hers I had flagged to try, actually :D

Sarah I've read it a couple of times. It's another one where it explores identity, in this case who are you if nobody ever remembers you. It was also a finalist for the World Fantasy Award.

Allison Hurd Sarah Anne wrote: "I've read it a couple of times. It's another one where it explores identity, in this case who are you if nobody ever remembers you. It was also a finalist for the World Fantasy Award."

Nice! I actually think I added it one of the times you read it. ;-D