Robin's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

Feb 25, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: comicbook, wishlist, 2015, library
Read in October, 2015

I finished this one last night and I'm still exhausted.

And it's not that I didn't know what I was getting into. I know I didn't get all the references in the first two volumes, but that adds to the replay value for me. This one... it was just a slog, and honestly I don't feel that it paid off. As always, it was fun figuring out who all the obliquely-named characters were (the adventures of Ema Night and Jimmy the British spies were pretty great). But the rest of it... I found myself skimming bits of teeny text as my eyes crossed. Sure, I loved Bertie Wooster's story of his weekend with his Aunt and her Great Cal Lulu cultist friends-- it was particularly easy to read it in Hugh Laurie's voice-- because I'm a sucker for pretty much anything crossed with Lovecraft. But after pages and pages of just plain text... I missed the comic book that I had expected. And then it just... ends? With a strange blue-red 3D section?

So basically, I enjoyed the trees but not the forest. Too bad, after all these years. But at least I still have the first two volumes to return to whenever I need to be intellectually humbled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

10/26/2015 marked as: read