Scrill's Reviews > The Star-Touched Queen

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, romance, ya, xeno

"What I wanted was a connection, a shared heartbeat that kept rhythm across oceans and worlds. Not some alliance that kept rhythm across oceans and worlds. Not some milk-skinned, honey-eyed youth who said his greetings and proclaimed his love in the same breath. I wanted a love thick with time, as inscrutable as if a lathe had carved it from night and as familiar as the marrow in my bones. I wanted the impossible, which made it hat much easier to push out if my mind."

Being a xenophile I typically enjoy dipping into a boon that gives me a little bit of a new culture. I unfortunately I am not too knowledgeable on Hindi culture. With that being said Chokshi did a wonderful job weaving in Hindi subtleties into the story.

This was a story I've never read before. The start set the story in a colorful court that was described wonderfully with figurative prose that extended throughout the entire story. I enjoyed the Hindi folklore that was snuck in that helped with progress and meaning behind each characters actions.

In the beginning you have Maya who was destined by her horoscope to be set in a marriage that brought death. Not a very inviting prospect for any suitor, or even anyone she lived with. Yet, I an effort to get an upper hand in a war she is married off and her new husband promises her an equal standing marriage. Little does she know, the reason of his offer for equality stems entirely from decisions made in previous lives where the star crossed lovers managed the destinies for everyone else's, with only their own slipping through their grasps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Star-Touched Queen.

May 10, 2016 – Shelved