Esther Moss's Reviews > The Big Wet Balloon

The Big Wet Balloon by Liniers

bookshelves: graphic-novel, sentence-fluency-trait

The Big Wet Balloon
Reading level: It says "level 2." I'm not sure what that means. I also found it at a graded reading level of 1st-2nd and a guided reading level of J, which I agree with.
Interest Level: Because this book is so "cute" and well-designed, I think it would appeal to its target age levels of 1st and 2nd graders as well as struggling 3rd graders.

Summary: Two sisters explore the outdoors on a rainy Saturday, getting into a few pickles along the way.

Genre: graphic novel - each page is divided into little scenes and the only text is in the form of dialogue bubbles

Mentor writing traits: Sentence fluency - I like that the text includes somewhat poetic sentences (ex: "The rain sounds like clapping." pg. 18) and short sentences (ex: "Wait here." pg. 25). It models to the reader that you can tell a story using a variety of well-crafted sentences and that they don't all need to be long and wordy.

Integration: I would use this text to inspire students to write a story in the form of a graphic novel. This could be a mentor text for a story that has a clear setting, characters, and beginning/middle/end. The simplicity of the plot and the easy-to-follow illustrations would, I think, make it easy and fun for students to identify those key story elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Wet Balloon.

Finished Reading