Sans's Reviews > Maverick's Mate

Maverick's Mate by Lynn Hagen

Apr 25, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: lgbtqia, wtfery, the-writing-it-burns, how-about-no

Gods damn it. I had a lovely review that clearly delineated my multitude of problems with this "book" and I lost it. Excuse me while I break something.

Ok, short version then. Avoid at all costs. The plot was thin-to-non-existent, the characters were flatter than my singing voice, the conflict was cringe-worthy, the sex was either highly disturbing or laughable (often both), the pairings made me very uncomfortable, the writing made me want to cry and take a large red marker to fix all the mistakes, and I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how this got published.

When the main character (I refuse to call him a hero) stalks a stranger to his home, puts him in a trance, then fucks him and drinks his blood to "mark him" (ostensibly for his own safety), that's not sexy. That's rape. When the guy is not conscious and did not give consent for that little backdoor visit, it's rape. When you leave him with no knowledge of the act, even if he was turned on while he was asleep, that's rape.

And when another character is mentally impaired, do not keep calling him retarded. We are not in grade school and there are much kinder terms to call him. When a 200+ year old wolf shifter decides that 18 year old impaired person is his destined mate, I get all kinds of red flags. And guess what? They're all centered around that consent issue again.

This read like bad fanfic written by a teenager with no concept of proper writing skills or what is and is not sexy. I can't even go into all the fails as far as character development, motivations, growth, conflict, continuity, none of it. There simply weren't any. Why did I keep reading? I honestly don't know. I can only say in my defense that this was so bad I was only waiting to see how much worse it could get. I can only pray Amazon gives me my damn money back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maverick's Mate.

Started Reading
April 25, 2011 – Shelved
April 25, 2011 – Shelved as: lgbtqia
April 25, 2011 – Shelved as: wtfery
April 25, 2011 – Shelved as: the-writing-it-burns
April 25, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: how-about-no

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla And a cover with a photo that has a warped aspect ratio is always pleasing too. :P

message 2: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans Seriously. So many fails on so many levels.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart You are so fun to read. Thanks for another laugh. Sorry it was painful. You are saving others from torment.

message 4: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans Thanks, Jane! I'd love to know what masochistic corner of my brain insists I keep reading crap like this. Oy vey!

message 5: by Deeze (new)

Deeze Bravo. You said exactly what I wanted to say lol.

message 6: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans Thank you, Deeze! I'd love to find some good m/m shifter romances. I'll have to start taking a closer look at the listopias here and stay away from "Amazon recommends". *shudders*

message 7: by Deeze (new)

Deeze Well Stephani Hecht's Lost Shifters and Carol Lynne's Refuge Shifters are ones I enjoyed. They have a flaw or 2 but nothing as bad as Hagen. But if you havnt read already I'd steer clear of Joyee Flynn and Stormy Glenn, they are who Hagen models her books on. Hope you find something you like

message 8: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans I think I read a Stormy Glenn. Yeah, it was Full Moon Mating. >_< Thank you for the warning on Joyee Flynn! I was considering getting on of hers. I'll definitely check out Hecht and Lynne. Thanks!

message 9: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Wow, thanks for the honest review. Definitely skipping this one.

message 10: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans Glad to be of help, Marie. For some reason I keep finding and reading books like this. I figure I'm punishing myself for mistakes made in a past life.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I hate when I lose something that I spent a while writing out! You have my sympathy.

Ignoring any issues with the actual writing and editing, I find myself very creeped out by your description of their first encounter. You're right, that is rape. A stranger who isn't even conscious? How can it be anything else?

message 12: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans Thanks, Catherine!

No joke. Seriously, the wolf guy made eye contact with the human dude for about two seconds in a coffee shop, decided this guy was his destined mate, followed him home, fucked him and marked him in his sleep, all for the guy's own good and so that no one else could snatch him up while wolf guy was waiting to introduce himself. WTF?!

message 13: by Deeze (new)

Deeze If you thought that was creepy I wonder how you would rate book 2. A mildly retarded (her words) man is the mate. He is portrayed as a giggling imature child-like innocent that becomes sexually active and eager to please, then throw in a bit of "daddy" talk!!!Now thats creepy. In fact most of the "little mates" are portrayed as very child-like. Makes you wonder a bit.

message 14: by Sans (new) - rated it 1 star

Sans The mention of that pairing got my creeped-out flag flying. I should have figured it was even worse in their book. *shudders* Yeah, the daddy talk is not one of those kinks I'm into. At least I got that refund from Amazon!

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Yay, Amazon!