Lou Grimm's Reviews > 172 Hours on the Moon

172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

bookshelves: other

Wow! This book may have broken every one of my 'unlucky 13' pet hates, but I loved it! It just proves the 'it' factor can't be defined by a list of do's and don't's.

Firstly, the negatives; *kids* being sent to the moon on NASA's first trip there in 40 years. Yes, you read that right, kids. I mean, really?! And then to pick *random* kids who may know nothing about science (and, as it turns out, didn't). And to not have the opening of their letters covered by the media when this was all about the media. Then there's the parents putting their entire lives on hold; their jobs, mortgages, and responsibilities, to move in to NASA HQ for 18 months.

There were also the occasional inconsistencies (Houston knew it was a female who took Buzz's boots when her sex was not mentioned), and the whole training schedule was just glossed over entirely.

But the positives! I can name little personal things, like the use of one of the best movie taglines of all time: 'In space, no one can hear you scream' and Arthur Dent's byline from H2G2 'So this is it. We're going to die'. But for the most part, I can't tell you why I loved this book. It was gripping. Compelling. An utter page-turner. Not once was I bored. In fact I stayed up way too late reading it cos I couldn't put it down (it looks like I took two days, but that's only because it was the wee small hours).

This is something beyond my puny powers of analysis. This is a fantastic book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 172 Hours on the Moon.

April 24, 2016 – Started Reading