DC's Reviews > A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True

A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka

Apr 25, 2011

bookshelves: five-star

It's such a wonderful love story, and not quite cliche. It's not just about romance though- it also deals with history, friendship and family.

It was a little difficult for me to read at the start (it seemed to be in the middle of things), but it gets easier and more gripping with each page. Also, the storytelling weaves present and past-- each interconnected, each with a unique story. All in all, it was quite nicely done; the transition of emotions and ambiances was smooth and simple. The ending was really unexpected for me.

The book also has such wonderful and interesting personalities, who all have his or her own tragic, beautiful and unexpected story. (Truly, the perseverance of Anelieca & the Pegion was frustrating and yet mesmerizing. *sighs of happiness, then of sadness* Even Beata's lovelife made me go "awwwwww" more than once.)

It made me a little sad not to be aware of the Polish perspective of World War II. Then again, it opened my eyes to the concept of "New Poland" (something not unfamiliar to me, being a citizen of a developing country), with all its promise, grime and beauty.

It was really a nice walk through the life of a family that was torn apart, brought together, irrevocably broken, and patched together more than once. A lovely read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True.

Quotes DC Liked

Brigid Pasulka
“The stupid things you do in life are the most beautiful.”
Brigid Pasulka, A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True