Perry's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

bookshelves: mina-favoritböcker, stela-eða-láni, books-most-loved

Audible Edition of Towering American Novel
Read by Sissy Spacek, audio aphrodite

What more really can I say about a timeless tale 99% of us have read?

That it's as good the 2d or 3d time but even better when listening to it as an audiobook read by Academy Award-winning actress Sissy Spacek (with that sapphire Southern accent and her transfixing acting talent)?

That Ms. Spacek gives Scout extra spark to the nth-power and sweeps you off your feet by bestowing a kiss-the-sky feel upon this very American story of racism and hatred, fears of those unlike "us," of evil and goodness, and of a little girl and her daddy?

Whether you've read To Kill a Mockingbird one time or twenty, seen Gregory Peck in black and white as Atticus Finch on VCR, DVD and Netflix, have 1 copy or 3 of the paperback bought for your kids' classes, in addition to your dog-eared copy from grade school; yet, all of that is irrelevant to the question at hand. Should you get the Audible version?

Why, yes ma'am/sir, you certainly should so you may experience anew, in a divine medium, the wonders of how great literature (this heart-juddering novel) can transport you back to a time and a place and a people (good, bad and between), and stoke your emotions and pleasure in literature in such a strong and soulful way that you're glad to be alive!

Sissy Spacek IS Scout. She was made to play that role.

Quotes Perry Liked

Harper Lee
“We know all men are not created equal in the sense some people would have us believe- some people are smarter than others, some people have more opportunity because they're born with it, some men make more money than others, some ladies make better cakes than others- some people are born gifted beyond the normal scope of men.
But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal- there is one human institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president. That institution, gentlemen, is a court.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

July 8, 2014 – Started Reading
July 9, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Kelli 1000% agree. Loved the audio...and it was my first time with the book (not sure how possible!)

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Extremely well put!

Perry Kelli wrote: "1000% agree. Loved the audio...and it was my first time with the book (not sure how possible!)"

Thank you!

Perry Liz wrote: "Extremely well put!"

Muchas gracias!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie I still haven't read this!

PorshaJo Agreed. Sissy Spacek was the perfect narrator (eh, Scout) for this book. One of my favorite books...and narrations on a book. Glad you enjoyed!

Victoria What a great way to experience this novel again! I can just imagine Spacek's mellifluous voice as Scout. Incidentally, if you enjoy audios of classics, David Sedaris recommends True Grit read by Donna Tartt. He cheekily said that she was born to read it.

Ariel I need to get around to listening to Spacek's narration. I've heard bits and her voice is completely Alabama afternoons and lemonade; I love it.

nettebuecherkiste I loved Sissy Spacek's performance, too!

Linda Great review Perry. An all time favorite. I need to listen to the audio.

Perry Katie wrote: "I still haven't read this!"

Katie, you should consider this audiobook. Listening takes a lot less mental energy than reading, plus Spacek does such a superb job as an "acting" narrator that I think getting this audio is almost as good as, and perhaps to some better than, reading the book from cover to cover. I cannot think of another audiobook that's even close to justifying my making this claim.

Perry nettebuecherkiste wrote: "I loved Sissy Spacek's performance, too!"

Victoria wrote: "What a great way to experience this novel again! I can just imagine Spacek's mellifluous voice as Scout. Incidentally, if you enjoy audios of classics, David Sedaris recommends True Grit read by Do..."

PorshaJo wrote: "Agreed. Sissy Spacek was the perfect narrator (eh, Scout) for this book. One of my favorite books...and narrations on a book. Glad you enjoyed!"

Tack för din vänlighet, Victoria, PorshaJo and Nette