Monica (Tomes Project)'s Reviews > Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted?

Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0 by Jason Latour

bookshelves: 2016

[3.75 stars]

I really enjoyed this comic and recommend you picking it up if you have even vaguely wanted to. Definitely make sure to pick up the volume, especially if you are new to Spider-Man comics (like myself), because it includes issue #2 of Edge of Spider-verse which will give you essential information for the five volumes of Spider-Gwen.

Most of what I loved about this comic was the emotional depth and complexity that we see from Gwen. Usually in comics, we don't see much of that in our superheroes, but I love that they made her real. However, they didn't develop her emotional state throughout the issues, and she felt stagnant to me despite a beautiful scene with Aunt May. Another thing that I absolutely loved in this volume was Gwen's voice. She has a very distinct voice that reminds me a lot of the Spider-Man adaptations that we have seen on screen. She carries (what I have always associated with Peter) a snarky attitude towards villains, and I really enjoyed that about Gwen's character.

In addition to the lack of development, there was no real overarching story throughout the volume, making me a little dazed. There are elements that are brought over issue to issue, but no one giant thing.

I think there may be another volume in the works, so I am looking forward to seeing more of Gwen and see more development and action (something else that I felt was very lacking).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0.

May 9, 2016 – Started Reading