Nia's Reviews > The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore

This book is a great reference for both investment strategy and general financial planning, including saving for college, withdrawing during retirement, and end-of-life planning. The main ethos of the book lies in a DIY investment strategy which both history and research support as the winning way to consistently win out over most stock pickers and fund managers over a long time horizon. I am fully on board with this strategy and am so glad to have learned these important lessons while I'm still relatively young!

However for a core understanding of the fundamentals *beneath* the strategy, I think it's necessary to read more than this book alone. The authors offer many assertions which are backed by cherry-picked quotes and brief anecdotes from history. While each point is adequately illustrated, I can't say I would have really understood, or really internalized, the points being made without further reading. To really drive it home, I would recommend reading Bill Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio as a starting point. Then with a proper foundation in place, use this book as a quick and easy reference to put your plan into play, and to consult when any major life events take place.

I should also say the Bogleheads forum (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/inde...) and wiki are fantastic resources for specific questions. But definitely get the foundations in place first, it will be worth it in the long run!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.

May 9, 2016 – Started Reading