Siskiyou-Suzy's Reviews > Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life

Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life by Maurice Sendak

bookshelves: fiction, older-children-6-10, childhood, fairy-tales-and-fables, nursery-rhymes, anthropomorphism
Read 2 times. Last read 2016.

For years and years I have tried to find a book I read as a child. It filled me with such a feeling of wonder, and I remembered that, but I couldn't remember much else. I thought it had "yonder" in the title, but when I searched and searched, nothing came up. I felt like there was a "fairy tale" or "Mother Goose" vibe, though I couldn't place it -- I had a strong recollection of Old Mother Hubbard. I thought I remembered an illustration of a girl, looking out over the land while sweeping a stoop. I remembered a moon. I remembered she went on a journey.

I have googled up and down, browsed through so many books and asked and asked and asked. Nothing came close. Then just yesterday, at a stop at a thrift store, I looked up at the top shelf and saw something familiar: "Higglety Pigglety Pop!" I pulled it down, surprised to see a Maurice Sendak book that I didn't know anything about, and then I started shaking because I knew, right away, that it was this book. This was the book that charmed me just enough to stay with me nearly two decades later after reading it a single time; this was the book that got away, that try as I might I couldn't find.

At first, I thought I had just made up the whole "yonder" thing, but once I reached the part with Castle Yonder, I grinned until I thought my face would fall off.

And do you see all the other ways in which my memories were so so jumbled but ultimately right? That the Mother Goose vibe I had came from the Mother Goose theatre! And being based around a nursery rhyme! And the main character is female, if not strictly a girl. And she totally looks out over the land before going on an adventure. And those illustrations with the moon later on! And sweeping the stoop? She never did, of course, but a broom features heavily -- of course I would associate a broom with the book. And Old Mother Hubbard -- Jennie is a dog!

I'm impressed with my memory for hanging all to all of these scraps for all these years. Sometimes I start to think that some of the books I'm remembering never really existed because the memories are so faint and vague. Finding this book certainly gives me hopes -- there are a few more out there that I'm still looking for.

This book is fantastic, and what a relief to find a once-loved book and still love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life.

January 1, 1997 – Started Reading