BrokenTune's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: reviewed

As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: ‘When shall we three meet again?’ There was a pause. Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: ‘Well, I can do next Tuesday.’

I just realised that I never finished writing a review for this one even though I absolutely loved it. Wyrd Sisters is the second installment of the Witches sub-series, and is Pratchett's version of what would happen if Hamlet and Macbeth had been set in the Discworld universe - which may just give you an idea of the plot, but will not spoil anything because this is a Discworld novel and anything is possible.

Instead of writing a proper review, which I really can't get together because there are too many aspects of awesomeness about this book, I'm going to present a few of my favourite quotes (in no particular order):

‘And until then I have to haunt this place.’ King Verence stared around at the draughty battlements. ‘All alone, I suppose. Won’t anyone be able to see me?’
OH, THE PSYCHICALLY INCLINED. CLOSE RELATIVES. AND CATS, OF COURSE.
‘I hate cats.’
Death’s face became a little stiffer, if that were possible. The blue glow in his eye sockets flickered red for an instant. I SEE, he said. The tone suggested that death was too good for cat-haters.

***********************
Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin.

***********************
However, in Bad Ass a cockerel laid an egg and had to put up with some very embarrassing personal questions.

***********************
The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo.

***********************
‘They’re not supposed to lock from the inside!’

***********************
It was destined to be the most impressive kiss in the history of foreplay.

***********************
‘Ah,’ said Nanny. She took the girl’s arm. ‘The thing is,’ she explained, ‘as you progress in the Craft, you’ll learn there is another rule. Esme’s obeyed it all her life.’
‘And what’s that?’
‘When you break rules, break ‘em good and hard,’ said Nanny, and grinned a set of gums that were more menacing than teeth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.

May 8, 2016 – Started Reading
May 8, 2016 – Shelved
May 8, 2016 –
May 8, 2016 –
28.0% ""Demons were like genies or philosophy professors – if you didn’t word things exactly right, they delighted in giving you absolutely accurate and completely misleading answers.""
May 10, 2016 –
43.0% "‘The door’s locked,’ said the Fool. ‘There’s all sorts of noises, but the door’s locked.’ ‘Well, it’s a dungeon, isn’t it?’ ‘They’re not supposed to lock from the inside!’"
May 13, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Oh this is one of the few Pratchetts, I never read. :-)

BrokenTune Alexandra wrote: "Oh this is one of the few Pratchetts, I never read. :-)"

Well, then this is one to look forward to. :)

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Upps! I have 6 other Pratchetts left on my TBR shelf of 239 books. It will take a little bit of time :-)

BrokenTune Alexandra wrote: "Upps! I have 6 other Pratchetts left on my TBR shelf of 239 books. It will take a little bit of time :-)"

That's pretty awesome to have read most of his work. It also a little bit sad to only have 6 left. Aren't you going to miss his characters?

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 29, 2016 05:12AM) (new)

Alexandra no this is a missunderstanding I have 6 left on my TBR shelf (= SUB) that means I've already bought them but not read -they are somwhere in my flat :-). My Pratchett wishlist is really a little bit longer :-).
The amount of Pratchetts I've read = 28 - wow this Author was really very busy before he died

BrokenTune Alexandra wrote: "no this is a missunderstanding I have 6 left on my TBR shelf (= SUB) that means I've already bought them but not read -they are somwhere in my flat :-). My Pratchett wishlist is really a little bit..."

Oh, I see. :) Still 28 is quite a lot of books by one author. I'm glad you have a lot more to look forward to.