Blake Sabor's Reviews > Occupied

Occupied by Joss Sheldon

U 50x66

Occupied is an exceptional novel that tackles the problems of our “post” colonial world. To label our current word a post colonial one, would be a grave mistake. Occupied labors to strike down this notion through the fictional ties between two extremely different places. Reminiscent of the Israeli and Palestinian relationship over the past several decades, we gain insight to just how different the haves and have-nots go on. We bare witness to young people growing up in a world where there opinions are shaped and propagated early on to think that what is happening around them is okay or perhaps normal. The author does an excellent job constructing these individuals and the climate for them to be fully realized in. The main argument of the novel focuses on the consequences of carrying on in way that is unfair to a population. This is an important book that should definitely be read for its message, but ultimately the writing is top-notch and shouldn’t be discounted. In terms of style, tone and character development, the author has crafted a rock solid read. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in furthering their understanding of oppression and how its effects seep into psyche of the people on both ends. Further, if you’re at all interested in geopolitics or just a really well written book, this title should be next on your list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Occupied.

Started Reading