Emma's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

20199735

it was ok

Shatter Me was not my favorite book by a long shot. Firstly, the way the book is written got on my nerves. A lot of the text is crossed out (like this). I get how the effect is supposed to work, but it felt unnecessary and a little over the top. Also, repetition is used frequently. It got irritating after a while. It would make sense if a few things were repeated to make the effect greater, but it felt like every fifth word was repeated repeated repeated over and over and over.
As for the actual content of the book, it felt like a mix between X-Men and Divergent, if you take out all the cool action and add it a bunch of uncomfortably desperate romance. Juliette could not stop talking about Adam; how she wanted to touch him and hold him and kiss him and so on. Everything was SOOOO intense (catch the sarcasm there?) and honestly a bit cliché.
The story line of the book was the only original thing there was. I have to say that if the romance and self-pity and desperation were toned back a bit (a lot), I would have really liked the story. As far as twists go, Shatter me had quite a few good ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

May 7, 2016 – Shelved