TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover's Reviews > Captive Prince

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

May 07, 2016

Read from January 11 to 14, 2017 , read count: 1

“A golden prince was easy to love if you did not have to watch him picking wings off flies.”

If this book was a person it would be:

photo jof_zpsyh0uau1j.gif

I mean. This book was full of depravity and brutality and cunning characters. And just plain ol'fucked up.

And what's worse?

I enjoyed it. A lot.

photo 17d1e2e9308a37bb412dbe31358da85b_zpsebacdmla.gif

And at times, it was even quite funny. I laughed. Some parts were so twisted I really just couldn't help myself.

photo wrong_zpse5wylh5h.gif

Let's get something straight. I don't enjoy the topics of slavery, torture, rape, sadism. In spite of my sometimes awful potty mouth, I'm a little bit of a prude. *winks*. So I was kind of nervous to read a story that has the reputation this book has.

But..this author. She took some really awful topics, some downright shitty characters, and made them so freaking engaging and interesting that I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN.

Quick summary: Damen, Prince of Akielos, is betrayed by his half brother and sold to the enemy land of Vere. Once there, he's forced to act as a slave to the revenge thirsty, sadistic Prince Laurent who hates Damen's country and everything it stands for.

Laurent. Oh, Laurent. I was so excited to meet this character dubbed as one of the most evil characters out there. And he did not disappoint. I could use so many words to describe him: Asshole. Sadisitic. Viscous. Calculating. OUT OF HIS FUCKING MIND. But the fact that I actually grew to LIKE Laurent is really just a testament to the author's clever and impressive writing skills.

‘I can end this any time I like?’ said Laurent. ‘I haven’t even begun.’

What happens after, I won't get into. But Captive Prince clearly sets the foundation for the books to come. The relationship between Laurent and Damen, the fantastic writing, and all of the political intrigue left me wanting MORE, so I'm off to read book two like right this second!

**I clearly enjoyed this, but I'm fully aware this book isn't for everyone. The writing is fantastic. (Really. You can claim the events in this are horrid, and I'll agree. But no-one can say this woman's writing is not beyond. This review explains it so perfectly.) I can see how it would be hard far some to follow, especially with the many difficult names and characters that are introduced. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone sensitive to or uncomfortable with upsetting stories and non-consensual sexual encounters. Also, this is categorized as romance, but there wasn't any in this installment. Don't go into this one expecting any sort of lovey dovey feelings, because you won't be getting any. It's clear there will be romance in the upcoming books, though, and I CAN'T WAIT to see how that unfolds.

Find Me On:
InstagramFB PageFB BlogBlogTwitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Prince.

Quotes TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Liked

C.S. Pacat
“Is there anyone at this court who isn't my enemy?"
"Not if I can help it," Laurent said.”

C.S. Pacat
“He's the captive Kastor sent you to train?' said Torveld, curiously. 'He's--safe?'

'He looks combative, but he's really very docile and adoring,' said Laurent, 'like a puppy.'

'A puppy,' said Torveld.

To demonstrate, Laurent picked up a confection of crushed nuts and honey and held it out to Damen as he had at the ring, between thumb and forefinger.

'Sweetmeat?' said Laurent.

In the stretched-out moment that followed, Damen thought explicitly about killing him.”

C.S. Pacat
“This place sickened him. Anywhere else, you simply killed your enemy with a sword. Or poisoned him, if you had the honourless instincts of an assassin. Here, it was layer upon layer of constructed double-dealing, dark, polished and unpleasant. He would have assumed tonight the product of Laurent's own mind, if Laurent were not so clearly the victim.”

C.S. Pacat
“So he's tame,' said Estienne, and reached out tentatively, as though to pat a wild animal.
It was a question of which part of the animal he was patting. Damen cknocked his hand away. Estienne gave a yelp and snatched his hand back, nursing it against his chest.
'No that tame,' said Laurent.”

C.S. Pacat
“Laurent could inspire homicidal tendencies simply by breathing.”

C.S. Pacat
“It was like watching a man smile as he surrendered himself to drown in deep water.”
tags: ocean

C.S. Pacat
“Laurent had stopped dead the moment he had seen Damen, his face turning white as though in reaction to a slap, or an insult.”
C.S. Pacat, Captive Prince: Volume One

is
getting
so
GOOD.

*lord please let it stay that way*

photo 18489593_zpszeeewoun.gif" 1 comment
01/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Mg (new)

Mg Herrera Good Luck!!

RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver❤️ lol! Hope it doesn't suck :)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Mg wrote: "Good Luck!!"

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver✨ wrote: "lol! Hope it doesn't suck :)"

LOL pray for me! I haven't had that great of a start with reading in 2017 =/

message 5: by Mg (new)

Mg Herrera TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Mg wrote: "Good Luck!!"

oh man. This book is a little, ok a lot, fucked up lol. I think you'd like this one!"

M/M it's not my thing. I have read just one and did it because it was part of a series I love so much BUT I'm not sure if I could venture to read another one :$.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I just read your "MOST ANTICIPATED READS OF 2017!" post and have you seen this?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 7: by TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover (last edited Jan 13, 2017 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Lisa wrote: "I just read your "MOST ANTICIPATED READS OF 2017!" post and have you seen this?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

LISA OMG BLESS YOU I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS ON GR YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED FOR THAT!!!

PS. I am a little ashamed I didn't include that on my list!! She's been so tight lipped about it I almost forgot it was coming this year!

PPS. Thanks for reading! XOXOXO

Christie«SHBBblogger» Amazing review, Steph! <3 Sounds like you definitely found an angst filled book. LOL! Glad it was a huge success. :D x

Caroline Nolan I loved the entire collection!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Caroline wrote: "I loved the entire collection!"

I just finished book two and OMGGGGGG. A million times better than the first. SO SO GOOD!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Amazing review, Steph! <3 Sounds like you definitely found an angst filled book. LOL! Glad it was a huge success. :D x"

thanks Christie!! I'm so glad it's so far lived up to the hype ;)

Caroline Nolan Right??? And book 3....

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Caroline wrote: "Right??? And book 3.... "

starting that one tonight =D

Rachel Reads Ravenously Great review Steph! Glad you loved :)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, babe! ❤

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Rachel Reads Ravenously wrote: "Great review Steph! Glad you loved :)"

Jen wrote: "Great review, babe! ❤"

thank you ladies!!

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Great review, Steph! I need to try this. Sounds different from what I usually read. Glad you enjoyed! :)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Great review, Steph! I need to try this. Sounds different from what I usually read. Glad you enjoyed! :)"

yessss, you def should! & the second book is 10,000x better than the first!

message 19: by Xavier (new)

Xavier Neal I totally love following your reviews...

Mamacita wants a Bedtime Story Loved. Your. Review!!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Xavier - you are so sweet thank you!!! ❤❤❤

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Mamacita wants a Bedtime Story wrote: "Loved. Your. Review!!"

THANK YOU!❤

Jacqueline's Reads I need to read this!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤ wrote: "Awesome review babe <3"

thanks love! ;)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Jacqueline's Reads wrote: "I need to read this!"

YESSSSSSSS you do!

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review"

hahah yes yesss!!!! Join me in my obsession!!!!!

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review"

hahah yes yesss!!!! Join me in my obsession!!!!!"

I really wish this was on audible :/

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review"

hahah yes yesss!!!! Join me in my obsession!!!!!"

I really wish this was o..."

I'm surprised it's not! But I really think you'd like this one so *PEER PRESSURE* read it! ahahah

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review"

hahah yes yesss!!!! Join me in my obsess..."

I know I will. It has all the stuff I normally love. I just ... you know, book hoe problems.

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I have to read this already grrrr lol Great review"

hahah ..."

#BookHoeForLife

message 33: by Hollis (new)

Hollis your review really says it all! and brought back aaaall the feels.

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Hollis wrote: "your review really says it all! and brought back aaaall the feels."

I MISS THESE TWO!!! Such an awesome series