Julie Christine's Reviews > My Last Continent

My Last Continent by Midge Raymond

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, read-2016

This first novel by short-story author, essayist and publisher Midge Raymond chills with deftly foreshadowed doom and warms with slow-burning passion.

Deb Gardner, a biologist who prefers polar isolation and penguins to warmer climes and the company of humans, spends part of the year at a research station in Antarctica, studying effects of climate change and other human intrusions on penguin habitat. Ironically, it is ecotourism that affords her the opportunity to study her beloved flightless fowl. Raymond uses Deb's ethical conundrum to educate the reader on the pressure this amateur exploration of the South Pole puts on such a vulnerable ecosystem. We're killing it with love.

The love story between Deb and Keller Sullivan, a lawyer-turned-nature guide, is at the heart of the novel and propels the plot toward its cinematic catastrophe. The chapters career back and forth between the recent past and and the hours before an impending disaster; the tension remains high as we race to learn the fate of a sinking cruise ship.

The author captures the singular, desolate and desperate beauty of Antarctica with beautiful prose, mirroring the fragile and unpredictable nature of human relationships. My Last Continent is a gorgeous portrait of Antarctica, a deeply-moving cautionary tale of human invasion in this most fragile and hostile of environments; a love story and a disaster-drama written with intelligence, compassion, and skill.

Highly recommended and impossible to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Last Continent.

May 7, 2016 – Shelved
May 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 7, 2016 – Started Reading
July 12, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
July 12, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
July 12, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Julie Christine So excited to get started on this. Midge, along with her husband, John Yunker, are the founders Ashland Creek Press, which is publishing my second novel THE CROWS OF BEARA (September 2017).

Elizabeth Marro I just met Midge at an event on Sunday here in San Diego and bought her book. I can't wait to dive in. Antarctica has long fascinated me and her story looks amazing.