Andrew's Reviews > Haunted

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Ok this was a mammoth read- not because of it's 400+ pages or that the author decided to use words which would have scored double points in a Scrabble game - now simply because there is SO much going on. Which is great for a book to read but terrible to comment about when you have a self imposed rule of no spoilers. Well here goes but I promise nothing (apart from a headache)

The book follows a group of less than conventional and stereotypical struggling authors desperate to finish/tell their various tales.

And this is where things start getting tricky - you see there are stories within stories like an onion skin but rather than them being simple distractions or allegories for a different tale you quickly realise they are in fact something else.

They are part of over all narrative giving both colour and depth to the authors in the group along with filling in some of the blanks the first part of the story has.

They you have connecting pieces these are in effect a bridge between the two parts of the story. These give a different perspective and act as an interlude as you shift from one story to the next but without leaving sight of the first (if that makes sense)

Which you quickly realise something different again. After all considering the circumstances of writers group how can you have story told by a 3rd person unless someone in the group takes up the role of narrator but then it throws the aspects of the story up in the air once again.

In short there is a lot going on and I will admit that were several times when i had to stop and re-read something for my brain to add in the dotting line and light bulb finally is able to go on.

I know that Chuck Palahniuk is a highly accomplished author who has many famous accolades to his name which to me can be a knife that cuts both ways.
Yes he may be worthy of the praise and his works are joys to hold and read but it also sets the bar so high that disappointment is an almost accepted conclusion.

Well I can tell you this is not the case - yes there are cases when you want to shout at the characters, want to slap them or just turn away in disgust but to see it through is more compelling and I must admit I am glad that I did but like I say this is not an easy book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.

May 7, 2016 – Started Reading
May 7, 2016 – Shelved
July 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Petros (new)

Petros Triantafyllou Looking forward for your review on this!