Michael Tildsley's Reviews > The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame by Ben Bova

Apr 23, 2011

Read from September 23 to October 07, 2011

This is a remarkable collection of science fiction novellas that completes the previous volume, IIA. Personally, I feel that it is a stronger collection than its predecessor. I thoroughly enjoyed several of the stories herein. Of the ones that I didn't care for as much, it can be said that each had a memorable, crafty, or unique issue that they focused upon.

I was particularly struck by the intriguing world-view of "The Machine Stops," as well as the visionary qualities of its author. Although it was originally published in 1909, the novella does not stand out like a sore thumb amongst its more recently conceived brethren. In it, E. M. Forster depicts a future of comfort and vice in the form of a global network of devices, known as The Machine. In no uncertain terms, Forster predicts things such as television, the internet, and face-talk calling as mediums that aid in the isolation of each individual human being from every other. What unbelievable foresight! It is a great read.

My favorites from this collection include:

"Rogue Moon"
"The Machine Stops"
"The Midas Plague"
"E for Effort"
"The Big Front Yard"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science Fiction Hall of Fame.

03/09/2016 marked as: read