Ellie Revert's Reviews > The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister

The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister

Apr 23, 2011

Read in April, 2011

This week we celebrated Passover with dear friends. His mother is visiting from southern CA. She is a Holocaust survivor, from Odessa which was in Russia--think it's now called the Ukraine--she has become a gifted Holocaust artist with her efforts displayed in the museum in Pasadena, and other places. We were lucky to have them all over Thursday to discuss her life, and we shared the night with more wonderful friends, one of whom is also a Holocaust survivor, who shared his story with us. He was a child in Holland during the war. It was a very warm supportive conversation--we all learned so much. This book is one more to read about how the people were treated by the Germans. And why we must never forget... Nonna, the heroine, finally emigrated to the US in approx. 1948, via New Orleans, married here and had a good life---but there was always the inner core of what she suffered and survived---she was the only one in her family TO survive. (Typical of so many in this situation, she did not discuss her lifestory with her children--or her husband--til much later in life. When she became the artist which enabled her to express her feelings.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Holocaust Diaries.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Ishtayeh What an interesting and emotional evening that must have been! Whenever I see the survivors of the Holocaust I can not imagine the pain they must have suffered in the loss of family more than anything else. My oldest daughter had a gentleman speak to her class (she is a highschool sophomore) and what amazed her the most is that he went on and the strength it must have taken.

message 1: by Reese (new)

Reese Although it is important to recognize that carrying a heavy VICTIM banner can prevent an individual or a tribe or a nation from moving forward, the failure to remember what victims of persecution can never forget may suggest limited knowledge of history, naivete, denial, and/or a compassion deficiency. So I want to say, Ellie, that you ended this review with a sentence that I hope readers will not ignore.