Heather Wilson's Reviews > Einstein: A Life of Genius

Einstein by Alexander   Kennedy

You get a real sense of the complexities and contradictions of this amazing man through the book. I liked that this book worked to clear up myths and confusion about Einstein. It was written in a way that encouraged you to make your own connections - I went back and forth about sharing mine, ultimately deciding that they're probably only interesting to me. I was surprised to learn that he developed and discovered important theories that I had previously thought already established. I'm familiar to some degree with many of the other scientists mentioned, but I hadn't realized they were contemporaries and how many vital theories and discoveries were occurring during Einstein's life.

This is a worthwhile and well-researched read for teens on up. Understanding of the historical context in which he lived, the breadth and depth of his discoveries, and insight into who Einstein was -his personality, beliefs and quirks are all clearly conveyed. It's a fun read, and doesn't get bogged down, so it's quite readable and even though you're learning, it's not stuffy or too dense. Some well-placed quotes are peppered throughout the book. There were a couple of typos, for example sometimes Einstein's wife is called Mileva amd sometimes Maleva and Linus Pauling is referring to as Linus Paulding. It would've been cool to have a chapter at the end going into more scientific and mathematical detail for those so inclined and to have a chapter delving more deeply into scientific/mathematical research since his death built on his theories. I received this at a free or discounted rate in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein.

Finished Reading