Jeannette Nikolova's Reviews > Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman by Jeph Loeb

it was ok

Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

I can't say that I had fun reading The Long Halloween. Rather, I grew tired with it by the end. It's okay, of course, because luckily authors and illustrators of comic books change all the time, but as praised as this book is by critics and fans alike, it was not for me. Both the story and the art were more old school that I was in for. On the other hand, with time and reading more Batman, I think I might revisit it and maybe even have a new appreciation for it.

I liked the mixed batch of villains and the cameos and name-dropping, but ultimately, the story was based around the Holiday killer and that in the end turned out underwhelming for me.

Also, as it was old fashioned, both in terms of how it was written and what was included in it, I felt it lacked juice and was very schematic and almost following a pattern which became tiring and predictable after a while.

Most of all, I disliked Batman himself. There was nothing too personal about him, he was like a winged automaton the struggles of whom did not interest me at all. The most private remark that was made by his own narration was "I believe in Jim Gordon/Gotham/Harvey Dent." He was way too remote for me as a human being, most of all, and that is what is supposed to draw the reader to Batman, who is just a man, after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

May 6, 2016 – Started Reading
May 6, 2016 – Shelved
May 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Zaki nice review but i quite liked it :-)

StrictlySequential I left it with a bad taste too, Loeb squeezes in too much BS into his lengthy titles with seemingly greedy ambition.