Psychophant's Reviews > Feersum Endjinn

Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks

Feb 25, 2008

bookshelves: far-future, reviewed

This is the first book I have change the grade after re-reading. It is still a great book, but I no longer think it is grand.

Although it is not a Culture books, there are some winks to Banks' preferred technologies. Here he takes the well used subject of humankind on earth at the end of time and gives it a spin. I thought I saw a couple of winks to Gene Wolfe, but may be it is in my eyes.

The story is told by the weaving of four almost concurrent narratives, including an "infamous" pseudo-phonetic writing. It is made harder by the intercalation of the text within normal texts, as it is not so hard when you get used to it.

As usual the future extrapolation and technologies are interesting and twisted, the characters are interesting, even the good guys, though the choral structure leaves some characterizations short.

My main complaint is precisely that, some parts fall short, some characters are left almost blank, and the ending is too rushed and Deus Ex Machina-contrived. We knew it was going to be like that, but it could have been handled with the same care and detail as the rest of the book. As it is, it looks as if the author hit a deadline date and just wrapped up the final chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feersum Endjinn.

Started Reading