Kathy's Reviews > South of Broad

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Apr 23, 2011

liked it
Read in April, 2011

I like to be the first of my friends to read a book, but it is a gamble that I will get something I cannot wholeheartedly recommend. The last paragraph on page 510 is the theme of the story in a nutshell and shows off the talent of Pat Conroy for the English language: "Trevor is flying out in the morning for San Francisco, his future uncertain. But so is mine, and so are the fates of the children who play in the yard below. We have been touched by the fury of storms and the wrath of an angry, implacable God. But that is what it means to be human, born to nakedness and tenderness and nightmare in the eggshell fragility of mortality and flesh. The immensity of the Milky Way settles over the city, and the earthworms rule beneath the teeming gardens in their eyeless world. I am standing with my best friends in the world in complete awe at the loveliness of the South." 512 pages?? No wonder it took me three months to read. I have it in hard back and it was too heavy to read in bed, so I read it while sitting in a chair, eating or waiting for a carpool. I must warn my friends that, in this book, humans caused more devastation to humans than hurricane Hugo did. While Conroy leaves a lot of that destruction to the readers imagination, I'd still have to say it is too high on the scale of sleeze and violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Broad.