Negar Bolboli's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: novel, sci-fi-fantasy

As far as heart-piercing impression goes, I give A Game of Thrones an average 3.
For quality writing I have mixed feelings; It covers everything from crude figure of speech and gross descriptions to gigantic plot twists and vigorous dialogues.
What it lacks in World-building specially (imho) landscape characterization which is immensly important to me as a fantasy reader I think it manages to make up for with a heavy cast of interesting characters almost each crazily driven by ulterior motives. It's true that this is one of the book's advantageous qualities. I hear they salute the series because the world and its inhabitants humans ring true to our modern society, I wouldnt have an idea, is every random stranger either a filthy smelly rapist or a bloodthirsty power hungry lordling? The political and overtly cynical aspects of the story that are supposed to make it dark, mature and allegedly humane are not enough. They either sound contrived or downright annoying. If I was not familiar with the series, I think I would have able to appreciate the realism of the first book which now only seems harsh and forced. to what end? I am reading a thousand thousand pages to see well developed and promising characters randomly tossed to an early grave! It's not your typical fantasy, granted, but nor does it make it automatically a good one. I think I prefer my fantasies to engage me 'deeper' with the crazyness, the history, the life and uniquness of its world. I would want to read more about 'The Others', The Children of the Forest and Winter, The Lands across the Narrow Sea, The Sorcerers and Magic. All we get in this books are legends. That and women; Sure, Dany is becoming a badass queen but how do we see her up until the end? Right to the end she stricks me as self-conscious of her sex. Is Martin assuming all women walk around painfully conscious of how silk feels between their thighs or is he fantasizing about being a women? Lysa Arryn's breast feeding a grown child is also another example. Talk about fetish!!
This book cannot stand alone of course, as these thousand pages are only marking the beginning of the story. The actual appearance of the Dragons is promising... well, that is if you haven't watched the series.
GoT is a 3 for me, It could be a near 4 had it not been for the bad treating it gives women but all the same it could've hit better spots yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Negar Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

December 7, 2013 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
December 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
May 19, 2014 –
4.47% (Hardcover Edition)
May 25, 2014 –
page 41
5.91% (Hardcover Edition)
June 10, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi-fantasy (Hardcover Edition)
June 21, 2014 –
page 50
7.2% (Hardcover Edition)
October 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
May 5, 2016 – Started Reading
June 27, 2016 –
July 1, 2016 –
July 4, 2016 –
July 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele Emami Wow... You are reading these...... Pray so I can too :))))) good. Keep up. As good as series?

message 2: by Negar (new) - added it

Negar Bolboli the series doesn't miss a moment. i dnt think u need to read this one :) I'm nt sure I'll read the rest