Sadaf's Reviews > Shadows of Atlantis: Awakening

Shadows of Atlantis by Mara Powers

I was offered a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

There are books that people love and recommend all the time and then there are books like these. Not many people know about them but once you give them a chance, they completely blow you away. I was blown away from the first sentence and I'm still floating around somewhere. Beware, this book will never let you put your feet on the ground. Once you are under its spell, you are going to remain there forever. This is not a book you will ever forget and I guarantee it will make a special place in your heart for itself.

Fantasy, mythology, philosophy, romance, tragedy, humor, horror, adventure, thrill... this book lacks nothing. We follow the lives of various characters as they are pushed together by the well meaning but eccentric Fates and the ever aware Watchers. Every character is special. Every character has depth and a well developed back story and personality. They are all important and I couldn't wait till I saw them again at some point in the story. I loved them and hated them and loved them all over again. They may seem simple but every character is complex and intriguing.

The lyrical prophecies especially captured my heart. They were so beautiful and perfect. I absolutely loved them. I don't think I have ever read a fantasy with world building this good. This is an aspect I cannot compromise on and I was not disappointed even once. Atlantis is not a new concept and to do that so well and so uniquely. The author deserves special applause for that. In so many ways Atlantis was just like any other thriving city today but so different at the same time. The customs, beliefs and way of life kept forcing me to compare the world around me to it and see if it really was any different from the reality around me.

There are characters who challenge traditions and ask the right questions even though they seem so wrong to those around them. The philosophical debates and conversations alone are enough to recommend this book. Even though we have the prophecies to help us guess what happens next, things are never what they seem and unexpected things happen all the time. The mystery element remains throughout the plot and I was so shocked to learn that I had reached the end already. Not fair.

I don't know how to get over this book. I don't. I recommend this to anyone who wants to lose themselves in Atlantis and perhaps find themselves in the same world they left behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows of Atlantis.

May 5, 2016 – Started Reading
May 5, 2016 – Shelved
May 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mara Powers I am SO happy you were affected by my work. There is more to come. I promise you book two is close, and it's just as immersive, if not more so. :) Love from Atlantis.

Sadaf Thank you! I cannot wait for book two! My heart sank when I realized I had reached the end of book one! *happy dancing*