Kim Bishop's Reviews > Dark Descendant

Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

20835511

Nikki Glass is a private investigator working a missing persons case for Emmett, a young attractive man. Emmett's girlfriend went missing with what Emmett believed to be a cult, and Emmett had Nikki investigating them trying to find a way to get his girlfriend out. Little did Nikki know that Emmett was no ordinary man, and that cult, lets just say they are earth's best hidden supernatural secret, and Nikki has been thrown into their world!

This story is about Greek God descendants. Nikki unknowingly steps in the middle of a war between some immortals that think they should rule who are called the Olympians, and the rebel group of immortals that fled from the Olympians, (they don't have a cool name for their group). Anderson appears to be the leader for this rebel group, but it's hard to tell at first if he's the good guy or bad guy because of the way he treats Nikki when they first meet. Nikki had no idea this world existed, nor did she know that she was the person the two factions were fighting over. Once the cat is out of the bag, it's a race of survival of the fittest!

For one, what! OMG, during this entire book they chose rape to be the threat of choice! Usually it's death, but rape, really? Rape in books is not cool, I avoid those like the plague, but this one snuck past my radar, because who the heck knew! Luckily though, I did not have to experience a rape scene in detail, and was able to handle the violence in the book like a champ. Nikki's character was very sympathetic and believable. She had a sordid past as a child, and therefore believed in second chances, but was kinda misplaced with whom she chose to give a second chance to. All of the immortals came across very cocky, and that's why it was hard to tell who could be trusted, and who was on the side of good and not evil. The world created, the characters, the story line all came together perfectly for one great read. I truly enjoyed and connected with the characters, I hated Alexis, just like I was supposed to, and I empathized with Anderson and Nikki because of what they had gone through. I was worried for Nikki, scared for the victim and excited for the battle! I definitely can't wait to dig into the next book!

Narrator Review
Sophie Eastlake narrates for Jenna Black. When I saw who the narrator was I was super excited! I love Sophie from the other books I have had the pleasure of hearing her narrate. Sophie has sass, snark, and true deep emotion in her performances, which is why I love her so much! I'm so happy Sophie is on board for this crazy train ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Descendant.

May 5, 2016 – Started Reading