Ashley's Reviews > Carve the Mark

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

bookshelves: dnf

Well that didn't last long... DNF at 14%.

Here's my timeline of events:

- Pretty excited about the book. SPACE! STAR WARS?! UNIQUE POWERS!

- Find out there are problems with the book with regards to ablesim and racism.

- Kind of like, "Shit, that sucks.." but still thinking I'd like to read it to see it all myself.

- But then I'm legit kind of afraid of admitting that I'm reading the book.. mostly because what if I like it? Should I be ashamed if that happens? Would that make me a bad person?

- Decide, "what the hell" and just read it.

...then...

I'm just bored out of my mind? I didn't even get to the problematic bits because I was just so fucking bored.

Now, I only got 14% through so I can't judge the book too much, but here are my impressions:

- We were immediately bombarded with like 10 different characters (slight exaggeration.. maybe more like 5-6) with weird names... all in the first few pages. It was like Akos and his mom, his dad, their brother(s? - I don't even know), maybe there was a sister too, then some random friend, then some other guy from school... I don't even know if I'm way off base explaining this because I just go so lost with the HUUUGE rush of people, names, and who was who with relation to which person.. ugh. I can only handle so many new people at once so early on in a book.

- The MC I saw the most of (Akos) was a bit too young for my reading preferences (14). He seemed young to me at first and I started wondering, "how old is this guy?" then it quickly came up that he was 14. Not a huge deal, but at least in those beginning pages it gave the character more of an MG vibe rather than a YA one.

- It didn't feel like Star Wars. Maybe this part comes later, but it felt more like it took place in some random fantasy world rather than "space". A few times they mentioned that there were other planets, but... I don't know... it just wasn't exciting or didn't feel important. Maybe because in the part I read they were on a planet (rather than, like, in a space ship) and space talk/travel didn't seem to be a big deal. It was mentioned maybe once, but wasn't something people were always talking about, so it's almost like it wasn't there. So they were just on a planet, which could have just been Earth for all I know.

- I was just bored. There's no other way to put it. I wasn't interested. My eyes were glazing over. I didn't care. There wasn't anything interesting. I only got Akos and a small bit of Cyra but neither of them drew me in. They were just kind of dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carve the Mark.

May 5, 2016 – Shelved
May 5, 2016 – Shelved as: unreleased-stalking
January 23, 2017 –
5.0% "Already losing track of who these people are."
January 23, 2017 –
7.0% "I've barely started but I'm bored..."
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Yup. I feel your pain and disappointment.

Jennifer Don't know if this would have made a difference but the aged Akos a few years after the first chapters. So he was 16-17.

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Jennifer wrote: "Don't know if this would have made a difference but the aged Akos a few years after the first chapters. So he was 16-17."

Ohh thanks for letting me know!