Alondra's Reviews > Disappearance at Devil's Rock

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, mystery
Recommended for: Mystery Readers

*Won this on Goodreads Giveaways!! Excited and ready to read it. **

3 Stars (edited; 3.5 stars would be quite generous)

I think this was okay, if it was touted as a mystery of the disappearance of a teen boy named Tommy. Instead we get the blurb "psychological suspense" and "supernatural horror." I think not. There wasn't even any creepiness, until we meet "Arnold." It is only because he is an absolute creep and loser.

If this was put out the way it was meant to be, I may have enjoyed it more for what it was. A mystery and the torment and pain the family must endure. We do get to witness the inner turmoil and helplessness of the mother; the numbing and misguided thought processes of a younger sister, and a grandmother trying to hold them all together. The author really did a nice job of showing their relationship with each other throughout this ordeal and the strength they gain from one another. We also get some insight into Tommy's friends thoughts and feelings when they realize that he did not return from a "meeting in the woods."

There was a twist at the end, that I did see coming. Maybe, not the exact turn of events; but once the group of boys encountered Arnold; I could see the writing on the wall. Showing how Elizabeth; (Tommy's mother) pieced together the transcripts from the police interviews, into this linear story of the night her son disappeared, is painful to read. All of the bad decisions that were made in one horrific night, gives us much needed answers, as to what happened with the Disappearance at Devil's Rock.

Forget the book blurb; put this on the back burner, then read a month from now. I think you will be able to appreciate this novel for what it is. Good luck

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearance at Devil's Rock.

May 4, 2016 – Shelved
May 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 7, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own
July 31, 2016 – Started Reading
August 1, 2016 –
page 65
August 2, 2016 –
page 119
36.39% "Starting to pick up a little more. Initially seemed like a typical lost kid, and how the family deals with it. I think there may be a twist.... dare I hope??? holding at 2.5 - 3 stars now.... humpf. :/"
August 4, 2016 –
page 175
53.52% "Sorry, just not really liking this one.. UGH"
August 5, 2016 –
page 209
August 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 1, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Char Congrats! This was a good one. :)

Alondra Thanks; it is good so far. Trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

Paul Gaglio What was the with the notes at the end. Who wrote them?

Alondra Paul wrote: "What was the with the notes at the end. Who wrote them?"

(view spoiler)

Alondra Paul wrote: "?"

The Transcripts were the notes you were talking about??

Alicia I think Paul means the notes from the very end. Tommy wrote them. Pretty sure they said, "Don't leave. I'm still here."

Alondra Alicia wrote: "I think Paul means the notes from the very end. Tommy wrote them. Pretty sure they said, "Don't leave. I'm still here.""

Aahhh, okay. Thanks for that. I went back and looked.