Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾'s Reviews > Below the Surface

Below the Surface by Elizabeth   Lee

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance

There were two things I absolutely knew for sure: finding treasure on the bottom or the ocean was every bit as exhilarating as my father had said it was, and Danielle Alvarez was the love of my life.

This was my first book by Elizabeth Grace and I doubt it'll be the last. Below The Surface marks book one in what will be a series based on treasure hunters and it's certainly different from anything I've ever read.

I'm a sucker for a second-chance romance, and the story here gave me serious Into The Blue vibes, which certainly didn't hurt my metal visual...uhem.

It's been five years since Daniella 'Dani' and Dylan have seen each other. Their relationship didn't end on the best of terms and both still hold on to the resentment and anger of the past. But when a mutual friend claims that he has proof of the existence of sunken Spanish ship that many believed to be just a legend and had been a borderline obsession of Dani's to find, it brings them back together again.

Dani stayed on the little Florida Keys island and barely making ends meet as a diver on boat tours. Dylan left her five years ago to make a different life for himself in Boston. If they find the ship, it can make all their dreams come true...or shatter them altogether if it proves to be just a legend.

As interesting as it was to read about underwater treasure hunters, I got a little bored with a lot of the details. I wanted a deeper look into the characters and their past. As it was, I felt like it barely grazed the surface. The reader gets bits and pieces of what happened to Dani and Dylan's relationship five years ago, but it wasn't nearly enough to make me truly understand why each made the decision they did. I wanted more development on the characters individually and wouldn't have minded more focus on them as a couple. As it was, it felt like the romance came secondary to the treasure hunting and the rest of the story. I just never connected to the characters or their relationship to really get invested in the story and so I found myself skimming quite a bit.

That's not to say it still wasn't a fun read, because it was. The deep sea diving, the history of the sunken ship, the found diary, all of it made for an adventurous little read. I just wish the romance itself was a touch more developed. If you're looking for something different, definitely give this book a go. It's well written and the romance is quite steamy. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for the next book in the series, especially after that tease in the synopsis.

ARC courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Below the Surface.

May 4, 2016 – Shelved
May 4, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-to-review
June 5, 2016 – Started Reading
June 6, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
June 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Super honest review, doll! xx

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Terrific review, dear :) <3

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,my darling,xx

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Awesome review!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Astrid - ☆☆☆ Vanilla & Spice Books ☆☆☆ wrote: "Super honest review, doll! xx"

Thank you, lovely! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ ✤Maria✤ wrote: "Terrific review, dear :) <3"

Thank you, Maria! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Judith wrote: "Great review,my darling,xx"

Thank you, doll! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Beth wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thank you, Beth!

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Lana ! ;) xoxo

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Wendy wrote: "Great review Lana ! ;) xoxo"

Thank you, Wendy!

message 11: by Pattrycia (new)

Pattrycia Fabulous review, Lana!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Terrific review Lana <3

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Fantastic review, Lana!! Glad you enjoyed this overall despite some of your concerns! And *high five* for Paul Walker gifs! :D xoxox

message 15: by Yomi M. (new)

Yomi M. Excellent review Lana! :)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Wonderful review Lana! = Dxo

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam another Fantastic review, Lana :)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pattrycia wrote: "Fabulous review, Lana!"

Thank you, Pattrycia!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ wrote: "wonderful review Lana!"

Thank you, Sharon!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Jennifer wrote: "Terrific review Lana <3"

Thank you, Jennifer!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Fantastic review, Lana!! Glad you enjoyed this overall despite some of your concerns! And *high five* for Paul Walker gifs! :D xoxox"

Thanks, lovely!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Yomi Milanesa wrote: "Excellent review Lana! :)"

Thank you, Yomi!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Wonderful review Lana! = Dxo"

Thank you, Sue! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pam wrote: "another Fantastic review, Lana :)"

Thanks, Pam!

Alba and Her Secrets..♥ Great review, Lana dear!! :) xx

message 26: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, hon!