Ian's Reviews > Cold Fusion 2000

Cold Fusion 2000 by Karl Drinkwater

M 50x66

I received a copy of Cold Fusion 2000 directly from the author after reviewing another of his books - 2000 Tunes (which I would consider a companion piece).
When I received it I read the blurb on the back of the book and didn't know if it was for me. Even when I was reading it I was unsure, but maybe quarter of the way in I realised I was hooked by the story.
A brief summary of the plot. Set in Manchester at the dawn of the Millennium the main protagonist is Alex. Alex has turned 30 has a job he hates, still lives at home and is unlucky in love. Things had been going well for Alex several years previously. He was studying for a physics phd, had good friends and a relationship with a woman called Lucy. As is so often the case things go wrong and being dumped by Lucy is the catalyst for his life unravelling. Years later things take another twist when an unexpected meeting leads to Alex and Lucy reconnecting (or does it?)
Add into the mix family members, colleagues, friends, feral teenagers and unsavoury bus passengers and you've got a well written story that crams a lot into less than 200 pages.
So in conclusion another great read and one that whilst relatively straightforward is actually far from it. Unlike some books that are like a jigsaw puzzle where pieces come together I would liken this to a "Magic Eye" image - If you look hard enough you may see a completely different picture.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Fusion 2000.

May 4, 2016 – Started Reading