Pamela's Reviews > Something About You

Something About You by Julie James

Recommended for: Fans of lighter romantic suspense and witty contemporary romance

This is my first book by author Julie James, so I had no idea what to expect. I know she has legions of readers who love her stories, so that left me hopeful.

I'm so glad I read this book! It was fun from cover to cover. I laughed. I laughed some more. I got a little worried here and there about the safety of our hero and heroine. And I couldn't put it down, even with my own deadlines pending. (I took a vow not to stay up late unless I was making progress on my book. I don't think staying up till 2 AM reading this one aligns well with that vow.)

Cameron and Jake are thoroughly enjoyable characters with a past. I loved them both. Julie James has a unique voice that manages to infuse humor into almost any situation and which felt very real to me, especially when inside Cameron's head.

Cameron is like so many of us — a real contemporary heroine. She's also an idealist with a believable background that shapes her character throughout the story. Jack is completely swoon-worthy — an FBI agent determined to do his duty by Cameron, even though he blames her for the demise of a case that he'd all but given his life for three years earlier. These two have some seriously obstacles to overcome, and when they do and finally get horizontal together, it's delicious.

(Side note: I've met FBI guys up close and personal. Sadly none of them were like Jack. Suits? Yes. Guns? Yes. Personality? Um, no. Sexy? HA!)

I've heard that James' previous books didn't include the suspense element that ran through this book. Personally, I enjoyed the suspense, but then that's what I write, so I'm biased. This wasn't angsty, blood-soaked, guts-and-horror, tortured-special-ops-team suspense. Like Cameron, the story kept its sense of humor throughout, even while bringing us some heart-pounding moments. James' background as an attorney gave a sense of authenticity to the heroine's work, as well as the professional side of her relationship with Jack.

I absolutely loved the secondary characters, especially Collin, an openly gay man and one of Cameron's two best friends. He was a delight. One of the biggest laugh-out-loud moments for me involved him.

What didn't I like about the book? I can't find a single thing. I plan to read A Lot Like Love/ as soon as I get caught up with my own writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something About You.

April 22, 2011 – Started Reading
April 22, 2011 – Shelved
April 22, 2011 –
page 150
48.86% "I'm loving this so far. Julie James' voice is so fun and fresh, and I really like both Cameron and Jack. James' humor is delightful. My favorite LOL moment so far was Collin answering the door to find two hot FBI agents and realizing he had oven mitts on both hands. AWESOME."
April 23, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Shannon C. I love all of her books. They are so funny and she has great characters!

Karla I'm pretty sure the moment you pick a Lot Like Love to read the same will happen, you won't be able to put it down. These 2 books are more powerful than the first 2 to me, probably because of the suspense factor you mentioned. I did find Something About You funnier than A Lot Like Love, but having Jack Pallas making an appearance in A Lot Like Love made up for it :D

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Great review, it's on my list but I keep passing over it. Will have to move it up the list.

message 4: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Great review Pamela

Leslie Oh sure...I had to go and read this review...just added another book to my TBR!

Pamela Emily, you won't regret it!

Sorry, Leslie. This one will be worth it. :-)

Nissie Lambert Pamela, I read A Lot Like Love first because I didn't know it was a series. But I really enjoyed it! Hope you do to.

Great review, btw :)

Laura This is the next book on my TBR pile!

Kelena My reason of reading this book is @Pamela Clare `cause I`m a huge fan of her I-Team and when I saw her picking this book I knew that it was worth reading....
and I bet that I'll be Falling for JJ's Fics

Pamela Thanks so much, Katlena. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my stories. And I bet you'll be falling for Julie James's books, too. I love them. I need to get her latest, but I haven't been anywhere near a bookstore.

Happy reading!

Kelena @Pamela Clare I almost scare the S* outa my sister `cause she was sitting next to me in our study room when I saw you response on my comment and Screamed Like Hell Crazy... hehehhehehe

You don't say Thank You to me or your fans `cause it's us who are thankful to you for giving us such Amazingly Superb OH MY STARS Books ;D

and yes I have to make a fast run for my books heaven store `cause I want to hunt down all of Your's and Julie James books before they get short in the stock. :)

Pamela You're so sweet! Thanks. And that's too funny about scaring your sister. :-)

I hope you enjoy Julie's books!

Have a great weekend!

Pamela

Kelena @Pamela Awwww...... thank you.... ^.^
and yes I do scare my Siso and she gt really mad at me..... ;D

I`m in love with J.James books, she just got me hocked like you that I can't put down the book for even a min... I`m dazed just like I when I was reading I-Team....

and I really had a nice weekend :)

have Nice Week... tada *waves goodbye*