C.G. Drews's Reviews > Radio Silence

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2016, contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

Okay, wow, I did not expect to be entirely absolutely utterly IN LOVE with this book. I mean, I am a dragon??? This is a contemporary??? What is going on with this universe. But this book totally took my entire heart and it was so freakishly relatable I had moments where I was like "Excuse me, dear author, STAHP READING MY MIND THIS IS GETTING WEIRD". So that was amazing. And just....ajfdskaldfads. I have feelings. I have like nine feelings. What is going on with this universe.

#VulcanCaitBreaksDown

I BARELY EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START. The characters?? Okay let's go with the characters. HOLY MELONS they were adorable. It's narrated by Frances, who is stressing out over her last year of school and preparing to get into Cambridge. She's like so so freakishly relatable I cannot even. Like she has "two selves". At school everyone knows her as Frances-The-Clever-Destined-For-Uni-Workahlic. But at home she's secretly a MASSIVE DORK and wears like crazy epic clothes (we're talking Monsters Inc leggings kind of thing) and she's a huge fangirl and artist for this podcast called Radio Silence. She has exactly 0 friends, also.

UNTIL THIS BOOK OF COURSE. INTRODUCING THE BEST FRIENDSHIP STORY OF EVER. Like it shouldn't be this mindblowing to have a book that focuses JUST on friendship. But it is. Frances accidentally befriends the creator of her favourite sci-fi podcast: Aled Last. Now excuse me while I become a squish. They are so amazing. They are not romantic. (Frances is bisexual, but still she's not attracted to Aled. And Aled is asexual and likes boys.) THEY ARE NOT ROMANTIC. LIKE WOW. They just had a lovely platonic beautiful friendship that just...ajfdkslad. It was precious.

They were SO NERDY AND DORKY TOGETHER. The dork levels were SUPER BIG in this book. I am talking: they were on tumblr, Aled is an anonymous youtube star, and they love nerd shows and fangirling and like SERIOUSLY IT WAS SO SO COOL.

SMALL LIST OF RELATABLE THINGS:
• the whole "I have different personalities depending on who I'm with so I don't know who I am" scenerio that Frances faced...I think that is really really relatable for a lot of introverts?? Like we try to "fit in" when we're out and about but actually we just want to stay home and geek out over one of our obsessions interests.
• And what teen doesn't haven existential crisis like biweekly?? Pfft. You know it happens.
• the whole "I'm scared about my future what if I'm not clever enough for what I want to achieve" fears because HELLO THAT'S SUPER APPLICABLE
• the whole struggle to make friends. Ugh, Frances. You and me, sister.
• food is like really awesome
• everyone agrees
• I agree twice so that's like double confirmation
• stressing out so much and getting super bad anxiety because LIFE AND FINISHING SCHOOL CAN BE LIKE THAT
• nerdy clothes; like seriously they're awesome
• the struggles of the internet (like this just felt SO REAL to me because Aled's podcast ends up getting hatemail and it's horrible and while I have not experienced that, I have been attacked on the internet. It's horrible. Especially if you have anxiety. So like, wow. This book like SO GOT IT. I just felt like cry/flailing. Both. All at once.)

And can I just say Aled is my precious little anxious ball of marmalade? Because I really love him. I COULD SQUISH HIM. Like Frances was a 100% awesome narrator who I loved too. But I just....ajfdkslad Aled went through so much and I just related to him and just AFJDKSALD ALED.

Also diversity WIN here. Frances is biracial Ethiopian/white British. Aled definitely has anxiety (probably depression). Basically everyone is queer. And definitely everyone is a huge geek. (Shhh of course it's diverse to be a geek.)

And shout out to Frances' mum. WHO WAS AWESOME. Finding epic parents in YA books isn't like...easy. I mean, if you've got a magnifying glass you can find a few. And maybe some powerful wizard locating charms, a manhunt, several traps, and a prayer -- sure then you can find some. But, ahem, that aside. It was absolutely LOVELY to have France's mum be (A) supporting, (B) geeky too, (C) wear a unicorn onesie, and (D) get in on the plots to help the kids out when they needed it. And like Frances texted her mum her location and like, dude, thank you.

The whole book was just SO REALISTIC?! They stopped being characters and just were amazingly real people.

OMG IF I SAY "REAL" OR "RELATABLE" ONE MORE TIME, HIT ME WITH A FRYPAN. I'M ANNOYING MYSELF HERE.

(But seriously, that's how much it impressed me.)

Plus it does have a plot!! I mean, it's 500 pages and I do think that's too long for a contemporary. But it's not just about highschool and deciding what to do with your future. It's about being yourself and figuring out WHO THAT IS. It's also about creating art and being a fangirl, and then there's the mystery of "what happened to Aled's sister who just ran away from home one day" coupled with Aled's abusive mother. Then there's like random sleepovers and discussions and midnight math sessions and SNACK BREAKS and just -- ajfdklsadfsd.

How does this book win for characters AND writing AND plot?!? It's wizardry. That's it. It's officially: wizardry. I basically will bEG you to read this book. It is absolutely amazing and HIT ME IN THE FEELS and I may or may not have felt like my soul was fracturing 2 or more times. All these emotions omg. Ridiculous. This is such a stupendous book and a definite new favourite of my ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radio Silence.

May 3, 2016 – Shelved
May 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2016 – Started Reading
December 23, 2016 –
64.0% "There is so much precious INTERNET NERDOM in this book that it is making my internet nerdom soul very very pleased."
December 23, 2016 –
80.0% "What is this.\nWhat is going on.\nWhat is this odd calamity happening in my soul.\nIS IT FEELINGS. IS THE VULCAN CAIT HAVING FEELINGS. HELP ME."
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: best-of-2016
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige  Bookdragon bcoz of the " INTRODUCING THE BEST FRIENDSHIP STORY OF EVER. ".. you hooked me.. <3

C.G. Drews @Paige: reeeeead it. :D :D

message 3: by Dawnie (new)

Dawnie Now you just made me want to buy yet another book! You really should not make every book you love sound this fantastic! ;)

message 4: by Aisha (new) - added it

Aisha (seetheworldwithbooks) Great review!! Everyone seems loving this one. It makes me want to read it too! Glad you liked it xx

message 5: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte I really want to read this now! So glad I've just been given book vouchers but I still want to buy all the books

message 6: by Bookiverse (new) - added it

Bookiverse I was also hesitant to let this book in my dark urban fantasy world where claws, fangs, horns and leathery wings reign but I the hype got me lol glad u liked it!

message 7: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland I had decided to skip this but based on your review, just downloaded it :)

message 8: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Hanna Awwwwwwwwwwwww, that sounds lovely!!!

C.G. Drews @Dawnie: I ONLY DEMAND YOU GET THE BEST THO. ;D

@Sasha: I definitely recommend it!!

@Charlotte: Omg vouchers are amazing but also hello bookworm-decision-crisis, I know. Good luck!! The UK version is already out but the US version isn't out until January.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Dragonfly: tHAT IS LITERALLY ME TOO. Like I need my stabby dragons and magic, but this was so perfect still??? I hope you try it!!

@Jen: Omg really?! That makes me very happy!! I can't wait to know what you think!

@Jessica: IT IS.

message 11: by Sonja (new) - added it

Sonja Not typically a type of book I'd read, but your review made me add it to my tbr list. ^_^

message 12: by Bookiverse (new) - added it

Bookiverse Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Dragonfly: tHAT IS LITERALLY ME TOO. Like I need my stabby dragons and magic, but this was so perfect still??? I hope you try it!!

@Jen: Omg really?! That makes me very happy!! I can't wait to kn..."

Oh yes I'm reading it! Especially after this review!

message 13: by Celise (new) - added it

Celise This doesn't even sound up my alley but your enthusiasm makes me think I should try it! Points for diversity and friendship! Great review, thanks for sharing.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sonja: OH GOOD. I think you have made a grand life decision.

@Celise: Ikr?! It's not really the kind of book I gravitate towards either BUT IT WAS SO SO GOOD.

Finn Longman Yay! I like this book a lot. The author's super young -- it's her second book, and her first book was published when she was 19. She just graduated from university this summer (same college at Durham as my sister!) which explains why so much of it is relatable and why the social media is so accurate.

Emily Mead RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT??? RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT? Omg this book is my life.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: yES! She's the same age as me I think...I have done nothing with my life. *falls into the void* XD But that definitely explains why it's so so realistic/relatable.

@Birchsilver: ABSOLUTELY YES.

message 18: by C.G. (last edited Dec 27, 2016 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Emily: This reminded me of Grizzly!! Seriously you're going to be faaaaaamous for your book now.

message 19: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice I think I've only read the first two paragraphs but I'm already super-hyper about reading this, so I'm not going any further into your review until I'm over with the book to avoid spoiling anything BUT WOW THANKS IT SOUNDS AMAZING

Emily Mead Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Emily: This reminded me of Grizzly!! Seriously you're going to be faaaaaamous for your book now."

Best. Compliment. Ever.

message 21: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Daisy: Do you have a local library? Maybe you could request they buy it!

message 22: by Kavita (new) - added it

Kavita Kumar-Karthik Awesome review, Cait !! You've convinced me to read it !! :D

message 23: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kavita: Yay I'm so glad!

Jinjer Because of your raving review I am now #2 in line for the one (!!!!) ebook that the L.A. Public Library has. Estimated wait time, 4 weeks.

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jinjer: Yay I'm glad I was convincing for this one!!