Glee's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Apr 22, 2011

did not like it
Read in April, 2011

Cannot finish. Super gross whiny execution of pretty good idea (observations of a society obsessed with illiterate twenty-somethings who can't put down their smart-phonish "apparats" long enough to make eye contact). Gross middle-aged guy pursuing 86 pound teenager and seems only to engage in oral sex with the kind of detail I can live without. At least for the first 100 pages or so. I quit. One of those truly weird experiences...every paragraph, every page so blisteringly achingly funny and observant, but hung together on truly repulsive characters and motivation [other than to live forever] scant or non-existent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.

04/15/2016 marked as: read

=====D wow. Review the book or your own mentality?

message 2: by Glee (new) - rated it 1 star

Glee Aren't all reviews about our own mentality? As I recall (been a while since I wrote this), mostly I was furious that someone with such obvious writing talent would waste it in such a fashion. Sort of masturbating into the wind.

Rachel Reynolds I agree completely. This book had potential but just didn't live up to the charge.

Mary Guerrero A very astute review. Wish I would have read it before I picked up this book! Such a waste of talent.