Sean Cronin's Reviews > Persuader

Persuader by Lee Child

Apr 22, 2011

Recommended for: Action, thriller, mystery fans
Read on January 01, 2011 — I own a copy

Five stars and I rarely give five.
This book takes off like a dragster and keeps accelerating. It's an action book in a category that over-uses the word "action." Lee Child delivers.
Plus, it's cleanly written, intelligent, complex/twisty and filled with fascinating details (operating characteristics of the H&K MP5, for example, or the jurisdictional boundaries between ATF and Justice Dept.).
In essence, it's a well-written, rich, fast ride. It runs about 350 pages.

For me, the biggest surprise, however, was that Lee Child let's Reacher tell the story. Yep, it's a first person narrative from Jack Reacher. I didn't know Reacher told stories. Note - many of you will know this, which is why my big 'surprise' isn't my lead sentence. Man, Reacher can tell a story.

I'll give you a flavor of Child's prose. To me, this is the stuff that helps make a book:
"His shirt was white and his tie was no color at all, like gasoline. His hands and face were pale, like his natural habitat was underground parking garages at night, hawking samples of something from his Cadilac's trunk."

Highly recommended, even if you're (yet) a Lee Child fan. If you like action, suspense you'll love it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuader.