Anna Cho's Reviews > Earth's End

Earth's End by Elise Kova

bookshelves: cover-love, favourites

Now this is what I'm talking about, Vhalla. Show them you can't be controlled, that you're no longer the helpless girl we saw you as just a while ago.

Earth's End is the book I've been waiting for, where things really start to pick up and more...intense parts start to fill in the plot. I also feel Elise Kova has improved a lot as a writer, and everything about the book screams 'Experienced! I know what I'm doing!'.

Let's start with the good. Right away, we see Elecia again, and now she's warming up to Vhalla- not because a sudden, random change of heart or with malicious intentions, but it's the start of a slow, grudging type of friendship, the kind that can't be too rushed. I like how this is very gradually done. Also, things start to get...heated between Vhalla and Aldrik :) Is it weird I was giggling at a certain part in the story?

In Earth's End, you really start to see how much Aldrik cares for Vhalla, standing up for her in front of the Emperor and all. I welcomed this change, because I dislike male characters/princes who are 'just for show' and don't add to the plot or don't do anything interesting. So basically, when Aldrik showed up at the cuff scene, I was like, 'Yaaaas'.

On the other side, I feel Vhalla always does something heroic, then ends up in an infirmary of some sort waaaaay too many times- at least once in each book. At first, it's okay, to show Vhalla isn't invincible and has her weaknesses just like anyone else, but it starts tiresome at some point.

Many books have a central, master-manipulator sort of antagonist on the enemy side- think Voldemort, Sauron, President Snow, Jeanine Matthews, or anyone else. There's always that one character in the thick of the plot. However, one the enemy side, all we know is that there are 'Northerners'- no main antagonists, no specific names, no history. As a reader, we like to know more about the enemy, meaning the deeper and more in-depth the antagonist is, the more intriguing we find that character. Earth's End would do better if we knew more about the enemies.

Ending on a good note, I absolutely LOVED the ending. I know some people might think, 'Noooo!', but I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings. I'm dying to say what happens, but my lips are sealed. :)

Rating: Five Stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth's End.

Finished Reading