Melissa's Reviews > キノの旅 I

3220174
Apr 22, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, z_nihongo
Read from August 22, 2011 to March 11, 2012

キノの旅 was recommended on a Japanese reading thread as a not-too-difficult read for those who'd finished Heisig and were starting to read native materials. I read it on the basis of that and because the series ranked a few times in このライトノベルがすごい!.

I did not do Heisig and my "kanji knowledge" is, according to my anki deck, at ~1440 out of 2136 old+new 常用漢字 (less when I started reading キノの旅 but not by much). As such, I certainly didn't always get all the tiny details but understood enough (to a semi-detailed extent?) and sometimes had to do more dictionary lookups if I felt like I was missing something crucial or wasn't satisfied enough with my level of understanding to keep going. Thankfully, those moments were scarce.

The book has six short stories and each is self-contained. I didn't know this when I started reading it, but it worked out well for me. I read the first five as a semi-listen-read (thanks to a local language exchange) and the final story entirely on my own. Having come across the Drama CD recently, which contains episodes derived from stories in the first and second volumes, I might read the second volume as well before listening to that Drama CD.

Being that it falls under the ラノベ (light novel) category, the book is probably aimed towards late-middle and high school students (like YA fiction?). The stories themselves are interesting, certainly eye-opening, sometimes horrifying, though not in the horror genre kind of way (I don't like horror).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read キノの旅 I.