Jessica's Reviews > The Tapestry of Love

The Tapestry of Love by Rosy Thornton

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: review-copy

I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

When Rosy Thornton recently emailed me and asked if I would like a copy of her latest book, The Tapestry of Love, I immediately said yes! I've heard such wonderful things about her other books, especially Crossed Wires, but I've never been able to find copies. So, when The Tapestry of Love arrived, courtesy of Her Majesty's postal service, I dove right in. Here's the blurb on the back:
A rural idyll: that's what Catherine is seeking when she sells her house in England and moves to a tiny hamlet in the Cevennes mountains [in the south of France]. With her divorce in the past and her children grown, she is free to make a new start, and to set up in business as a seamstress. But this is a harsh and lonely place when you're no longer here on holiday. There is French bureaucracy to contend with, not to mention the mountain weather, and the reserve of her neighbours, including the intriguing Patrick Castagnol. And that's before the arrival of Catherine's sister, Bryony...

Let me say first that Thornton's writing is splendid.  It's poetic and expressive without calling undue attention to itself.  It was a joy to read the words themselves, but the best part of the book for me was the character development.  Catherine and her English family and French neighbors constitute a cast that I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know.  I wanted to spend more time with each of them.  The Tapestry of Love is a rare, unhurried, character-driven work to curl up with for a leisurely read in any kind of weather. However, Tapestry wasn't perfectly woven.  The plot meandered at times, and some of the plot devices, particularly at the end, were convenient.  And one plot point with Catherine’s sister Bryony that had me a bit baffled.  But, I was more than willing to forgive a spot of prosaic plot for great writing and interesting characters.  Tapestry is sweet and subtle, and I didn't want it to end.

I’ll definitely be checking out more works by Rosy Thornton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tapestry of Love.

April 21, 2011 – Started Reading