Ian Patrick's Reviews > Epiphany Jones

Epiphany Jones by Michael  Grothaus

May 02, 2016

I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher for an unbiased review.

I read many books on varied subject areas but I hesitated at starting this one due to the subject matter explored, namely sex trafficking. For the record, I have investigated crimes against children and didn't know how I'd feel about the subject being written into a novel.

Where do I begin? This book is incredible. Grothaus managed to hit every emotion in me that, as a reader and writer, left me in awe. This book not only explores love, life and loss but manages that in a a diverse subject area that includes mental health, sex trafficking of children, rape and murder. They are subject areas that are often left well alone unless in a police procedural or a book based on research. Grothaus somehow manages to weave these important areas into a novel that educates as well as makes you laugh. Yes you read that correctly, it makes you laugh. This is NOT a comedy book. That must be made clear. Some of the writing is graphic but it is not gratuitous it is there for a reason. Grothaus is NOT mocking or belittling these serious topics in our society. He has managed to create a work of beauty out of depravity. The narrator has issues and these are explored in a sensitive way. In every human there is a history. As a society we can be too quick to judge and hold court without all the facts. If you love Chuck Palahniuk you will love this. I don't, as rule, like comparing writers but it gives you an idea of style before you commit to reading it.

This is a debut that will be debated and talked about for years to come and for me it is outstanding and deserves every accolade it can get.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epiphany Jones.

Started Reading