Amy Wilder's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: audiobooks, books-i-have-given-as-a-gift, humor, favorites, memoir
Recommended for: pretty much everyone who likes the stuff I like.
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

First of all, this book rocks as an audio book, because Tina Fey does the voices of everyone she talks about - her theater geek friends, her odd coworkers from her first job, Lorne Michaels, and the employee on the cruise ship during the accident...does that count as a spoiler?

It also comes with a PDF so you don't miss out on the photos included in the book, it has an audio clip of the actual Saturday Night Live sketch in which she first played Sarah Palin, and, essentially, it is the first audiobook that I am pretty confident kicks the ass of the corresponding hardcover - with one exception. The audiobook I can't loan to all my friends.

I don't even know how to praise this book, or Tina Fey, adequately. She's funny, but she's also smart. her humor makes you feel smart for getting it (and, yes, at times, dumb for not getting it - who is Robert Wool?). She's part of this interesting, elite world in comedy and she opens it up so everyone can see inside. She's a woman who has been balancing her incredible career with her family life and she manages to be insightful about that while still being funny and humble. She reveals herself as a genuinely awkward and at times painfully dorky person without disrupting my sense of her as one of the coolest people on the planet right now.

Why do I love her so much? Is it because she makes a compelling argument for gay marriage out of a chapter of her best-selling memoir? Is it because she seems like someone I would have been friends with at camp and therefore makes me feel that I somehow belong to her world? I think - I think it's simpler than that. I think she is a member of my tribe, if I have one on this planet, and as a particularly brilliant example of that tribe, she makes me proud to be who I am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

Perre Who is Robert Wuhl? Just now I took a break where Fey suggests we search for what a "handsome Robert Wuhl" would look like. I made the same mistake of spelling Robert Wool before re-reading. He's a actor from Bull Durham and Good Morning Vietnam.