Lydia Howe's Reviews > Counted with the Stars

Counted with the Stars by Connilyn Cossette

bookshelves: 2016-fiction, 2016-four-stars, read-in-2016

Why I Choose this Book:

I have a kind of love-hate relationship with Biblical fiction. When an author clearly upholds the authority of scripture and has done their research, I really like how the Bible comes even more alive to me through their imagination. At the same time I can't stand it when someone stretches Biblical truths to make their fictitious story work better. I decided to give Miss Connilyn a try and see how true to reality her book was.

What I Thought About this Book:

The book was enjoyable and I liked it a lot. A list of things that made me happy:

* I felt like everything mentioned in God's Word was held in high authority and the Miss Connilyn really wanted to uphold the truth
* The characters were well developed and different from each other
* The historical time period felt very well researched
* The world was painted with bright colors and came alive to me
* Although I basically knew the story, there were still a few things I didn't see coming, so the surprise was good

Despite all the good, there were a few things about the book that made it less than stellar. One of those would be the grip factor... Although I enjoyed reading it, I was able to put it down easily which isn't a plus. I'm pretty sure that was mostly due to the fact that I knew the original story so well. It would have to be difficult to take something like the Exodus of Egypt and put a new twist on it while leaving it historically accurate. Miss Connilyn did do a good job of putting in a few twists though, so good for her.

For most of the book I felt like there was a good small balance of romance, but then near the end there were a few scenes that I didn't agree with or feel were necessary. That seems to be the reoccurring theme in my reviews though, so...

Conclusion:

A few of the ways she depicted Biblical themes weren't they way I imagined them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because I'm pretty sure it's just my imagination against her imagination.

I liked this book and hope to read more books in the series.

Rating:

I'm giving Counted with the Stars four stars out of five, and seven out of ten.

*I received this book for free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counted with the Stars.

May 2, 2016 – Started Reading
May 2, 2016 – Shelved
May 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-fiction
May 9, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-four-stars
May 9, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Dana Didn't you think she strayed way too far at the no with Yahweh speaking to the entire group? That's not how it happened in the Bible.