Krystal Hammond's Reviews > Nightlife

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in April, 2011

3 1/2 Stars

Caution: There is a lot of foul language and tons of violence. Some people aren't fond of that. If you're one of those people, you have been warned. :o)

Summary: Caliban "Cal" Leandros is only half human. His father's side of the family, the Grendels/Auphe/Evil Elves/Monsters wants to bring Cal into the fold, so to speak. Naturally, the thought of spending the rest of his life with dear ol' dad does not appeal to young Cal. With Niko, his health-obsessed, ass-kicking older brother to help him, he succeeds for a time. This book begins when that time ends.

Review: There are very few books that drive me to spend the whole day reading under a blanket, much less actually do it. Well ... I just got done doing that with this book.

Cal's first-person narration makes this book come to life. His sarcasm and wit are pervasive throughout the entire book--even the last half, after a dramatic plot twist sends the book careening in a whole different direction. I laughed out loud a lot.

Cal and Niko's relationship is priceless. They pick on each other incessantly, their dialogue rampant with snarky quips. But their unspoken and unconditional love for each other is unmistakable. It reminded me a whole lot of how I interact with my brothers (I have three of them) and this definitely endeared me to the characters.

The plot was pretty good. There were a few scenes that I didn't see the point of. I do wish that the time frame between the "big" climax and the more intimate "personal" climax had been trimmed down. I also wasn't sure about bringing in a brand-new character at the very end of the novel (to be fair, he was mentioned in passing earlier in the book). I do agree with other reviewers that the vampire lady didn't do much to push the story forward. Some sentence structure and use of imagery threw me off a couple times, but it wasn't that huge of a deal.

The one thing I really didn't like was the use of a short cut at the end of the book to avoid dealing with the emotional/psychological wreck that our hero should have been in. For me, that was just too quick and easy (to be fair, the shortcut only lessened the emotional trauma, rather than removing it completely).

I'll be checking out more from this author. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightlife.