Jim's Reviews > The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: business

One of the worst titles for one of the best business books I've read in a long time. The "E Myth" stands for the "Entrepreneur myth" which, in Gerber's opinion, has caused many small American businesses to fail. Gerber believes that the notion that people of a certain type drive success in business, is pretty much dangerous bunkum. Systems drive business, and if you construct the right systems, the business will run itself. Of course, it's a bit more complex than that. In fact, it's a lot more complex than that, and the book soon jumps from a dispassionate assessment of what makes a small business tick, to a departure into an analysis of life, the universe and everything.
I can imagine that this book is one that you'll either love or loathe. I was more in the former camp, finding the more philosophical and existential chapters quite inspiring, while also finding it difficult to argue against the common sense advice Gerber gives about what makes a business operate efficiently. While he makes it sound relatively simple and easy, you soon realise that what he is advocating is actually an immense amount of work and application. Some of the subjects he touches on, such as game theory or business marketing, are difficult to conceptualise despite the author's assertion that these are mere systems that can be constructed and applied to your own business.
I'm not running a small business, and I doubt if I ever will. I work in a big business at Director level, and I found that many of the ideas in this book were applicable to what I do. I recognised how powerful some of the techniques could be, and finished the book inspired to put some into practice. What would I do differently if I actually owned the company I work for instead of just seeing myself as a salaried employee? Well, I'd do a lot of what is written down in this book.
I don't give many books five stars, and even fewer to business books, but this without doubt was a five star read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The E-Myth Revisited.

Started Reading