Melanie's Reviews > Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, magic, read-in-2016, romance, young-adult

1.) Shadow and Bone ★★★★★

This book needed more Darkling. It needed much more Darkling.

All Mal does is piss me off. I know the ending of this series is pretty controversial and I'm so scared, because it seems so obvious that she's going to end up with Mal, even though he doesn't have an empathic bone in his whole body.

At this point, I honestly would have picked Nikolai over Mal. I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, so I'm not sure if I'm in the minority with disliking Mal, but if I had to guess I'd say I probably am.

On top of the annoying love triangle square, this book was so slow. Shadow and Bone was so action packed and we were thrown into so many intense situations. This book was just building up to a rather lackluster explosion, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the introduction of Tolya and Tamar. I also loved learning more about all the other Grishas. I just... I just needed more Darkling, okay?

Leigh Bardugo is such a talented writer, and Siege and Storm continues to be a testament to that. This world is so unique; I've never read anything like it in all my years of reading fantasy novels. The last few chapters of this book were so powerful; if the rest of the book could have shared that, it would have been another easy five star read.

I'm just going to chalk this book's problems up to "Second Book Syndrome" and move on to Ruin and Rising, because I need more Darkling in my life, even if it seems rather unlikely for him to get a happily ever after.

(view spoiler)

“ I've seen what you truly are," said the Darkling, "and I've never turned away. I never will. Can he say the same?”

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siege and Storm.

May 1, 2016 – Started Reading
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Pranta (new)

Pranta Ghosh Dastider I like how you mention the rating of other books of the series in your review. :)

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna OMG that spoiler with the gif!<3333 LOL

Melanie Pranta wrote: "I like how you mention the rating of other books of the series in your review. :)"

Awh, thank you. It makes it so much easier for me to go back and see what I thought; especially when continuing on with series! <3

Melanie Anna wrote: "OMG that spoiler with the gif!<3333 LOL"

Hahaha! It's so me us! <3 xo

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) I understand completely !, I love "The Darkling" is my favorite character of the trilogy, and how little he is in this book is so unfair :/. And Mal OMG I just can't with him.
PS: I love your spoiler :)

message 6: by Olya (new)

Olya Wow I really need to read this but your review is exactly why I stopped almost halfway into it. The author seems to have some serious issues with orphans or characters like Mal. But then I do favorite the Darkling. Such a shame though :/. Spot on review!

Melanie Sofii♡ wrote: "I understand completely !, I love "The Darkling" is my favorite character of the trilogy, and how little he is in this book is so unfair :/. And Mal OMG I just can't with him.
PS: I love your spoil..."

Thank you so much, Sofii! I'm so scared to finish Ruin and Rising!

Melanie Olya wrote: "Wow I really need to read this but your review is exactly why I stopped almost halfway into it. The author seems to have some serious issues with orphans or characters like Mal. But then I do favor..."

Yeah, she definitely loves the orphans who are "special", haha! I loved the Darkling so much, Olya. I'm so scared to read Ruin and Rising! Thank you so much for your kind words, always. <3 xx

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Omg I'm chuckling so hard, are you me because I'm sure I could have written the same review 😂😂😂 "it should have more darkling" and "all mal does is piss me off" especially 👌